How to explain I/R release/hand position to 11year old?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2013
I have read the I/R threads and understand the concept of I/R. However, I am having a hard to explaining how the ball comes out of your hand to an 11 year old. The follow through i can explain, but how the ball comes off the fingers and what position the hand is at release is a little harder. It is easy to explaining "snapping" but this....is a different story. Can anyone share how you have explained this? Thanks in advance!

Jul 17, 2012
The ball comes out of the hand, with the feeling of the ball rolling off the fingertips. The tricky part is WHEN. They are trying to throw the ball straight out of a hand that is rotating at a high rate of speed along with the lower arm. The release point is in my opinion the most difficult part of the windmill pitch if you're using the I/R technique. I believe that it was recommended the you encourage the pitcher to miss on the early side, as oppose to late. This will cause everything to be Right (RHP). Then have them work into the proper release. This was helpful for my daughter. Here's a great slomo of the release.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
OLF nailed it. It's not worth explaining. Give them the basics of leading with the elbow and palm up, letting the elbow pause at the ribcage, and let the lower arm whip with natural follow through.

The ball comes out of the hand, with the feeling of the ball rolling off the fingertips. The tricky part is WHEN. They are trying to throw the ball straight out of a hand that is rotating at a high rate of speed along with the lower arm. The release point is in my opinion the most difficult part of the windmill pitch if you're using the I/R technique. I believe that it was recommended the you encourage the pitcher to miss on the early side, as oppose to late. This will cause everything to be Right (RHP). Then have them work into the proper release. This was helpful for my daughter. Here's a great slomo of the release.

Careful with varying release points!!!!
The elite pitchers in the NPF release every pitch from nearly an identical point...thumb off the ball at mid thigh. They all get significant brush interference which helps them hit the exact same release point every pitch. This is important. Pitchers that release the ball at different points (early/late) are not likely to have the pinpoint control needed to excel at the highest levels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 17, 2012
Careful with varying release points!!!!
The elite pitchers in the NPF release every pitch from nearly an identical point...thumb off the ball at mid thigh. They all get significant brush interference which helps them hit the exact same release point every pitch. This is important. Pitchers that release the ball at different points (early/late) are not likely to have the pinpoint control needed to excel at the highest levels.

Who said anything about varying release points? Read what you posted again. We're talking about a pitcher just learning this motion, and you're fast forwarding to "Elite" pitchers? If it was that easy, everyone would do it. Missing early helps then to feel the whip of the ball as opposed to rolling the hand over the ball if they miss late. I said miss early and miss right, and work into the right spot. Sure beats siting there saying "Too Early"....."Too Late"....."Too Early" ....."Too Late".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd