How many pitchers is too many?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
When DD 3 joined her current team, the coach was very clear that there would be two #1 pitchers on the team. She has pitched over 50% if the innings so far, but that is partly because the other starter was injured for a while. The other starter had pitched most innings since her return, and DD 3 pitched most innings before the other girl was injured.
I was disappointed that the #3 pitcher didn't get more innings when one of the starters was injured. DD 3 doesn't like having to completely carry a team.
Poor #4 pitcher hasn't seen the circle. The #4 pitcher could've been the starter on her old team. She was warned she would only be an emergency pitcher.

Apr 26, 2015
OP here...

So...sounds like it could work out...but I still have my doubts.
DD's friend was the #1 pitcher on her old team.
As was one of the other new pitchers who just came to this new team.
The 2 returning pitchers were #1 and #2 interchangeably depending on the day.

I think any one of these girls could be the #1 on any other team. I find it had to believe they will all be happy at the end of the day on this this particular team. If they were all #1 is it going to be a tough pill to swallow when they are now not #1.

Sep 29, 2014
OP here...

So...sounds like it could work out...but I still have my doubts.
DD's friend was the #1 pitcher on her old team.
As was one of the other new pitchers who just came to this new team.
The 2 returning pitchers were #1 and #2 interchangeably depending on the day.

I think any one of these girls could be the #1 on any other team. I find it had to believe they will all be happy at the end of the day on this this particular team. If they were all #1 is it going to be a tough pill to swallow when they are now not #1.

Not being #1 probably won't be that bad assuming it becomes evident #1 really deserves it...what is going to be really hard is the realization that you are #4!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Disclaimer - my DD is NOT a pitcher. I'm just an outside observer...one of DD's friends just left her team to go to this team...

1st yr 14U Team has 4 pitchers who all think they will be the #1...what are the chances this is going to work out well? They are all very good pitchers.

1 is not enough and 2 is too many.

Nov 29, 2019
@KPower ; wow, all the great information and conversations that are buried on this site. It’s such a great source for parents and pitchers to go to not just for instructional info, but just advice and perspective.

I really have to ask now after reading this thread- and I realize that the end of this season was 5 years ago!!— how did that season play out. Was 4 pitchers too many, just enough, or did you end up needing more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 3, 2015
@KPower ; wow, all the great information and conversations that are buried on this site. It’s such a great source for parents and pitchers to go to not just for instructional info, but just advice and perspective.

I really have to ask now after reading this thread- and I realize that the end of this season was 5 years ago!!— how did that season play out. Was 4 pitchers too many, just enough, or did you end up needing more?

No team needs more than 4.

DDs team, who was one of the better 18U teams in the country ( top 5 Colorado PP, 3rd place tcs nationals championship bracket, 3rd place PGF premier finish ) had 3 pitchers, and a guest for Pgf. I have to say, the guest for pgf was a blessing, but I would be surprised to see 4 top flight pitchers on the same team.

If you are #1, or #2, great. Plenty of innings to go around, and the hot hand gets the nod. Fair and no issue there. Being the #3 is tough, especially if you are good. Can’t imagine a good pitcher willing to be #4.

2 is not enough, 3 is about right, if you have #4 and they can contribute, then you are in a very good place.

Sep 3, 2015

No team needs more than 4.

DDs team, who was one of the better 18U teams in the country ( top 5 Colorado PP, 3rd place tcs nationals championship bracket, 3rd place PGF premier finish ) had 3 pitchers, and a guest for Pgf. I have to say, the guest for pgf was a blessing, but I would be surprised to see 4 top flight pitchers on the same team.

If you are #1, or #2, great. Plenty of innings to go around, and the hot hand gets the nod. Fair and no issue there. Being the #3 is tough, especially if you are good. Can’t imagine a good pitcher willing to be #4.

2 is not enough, 3 is about right, if you have #4 and they can contribute, then you are in a very good place.

Aug 5, 2022
3 is perfect. 4 is good for older teams if they are all top flight and if 3 and especially 4 can play and hit. 16s and 18s when you have lots of camps and visits 4 can be helpful

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06