How long will a composite bat last?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2013
So Cal
Great responses. Especially since I assumed you had to break a bat in and they were not hot out of the wrapper.

Something that threw me was my DD choosing to use her 2012 30/18 Vendetta over a 2012 29/18 CF5 and 2014 30/19 CF6. She has tried the CF's on multiple occasions and I myself have thought the Vendetta appeared to perform better. Guess that's another reason I thought there was a break in period.

Mar 29, 2012
that's insane to use a vendetta over a CF5/6. The CF performance is far and above the vendetta in our experience. Maybe she just liks the feel of a lighter bat.

Jul 26, 2010
The vendetta is a very light bat. If she's used to that bat, she won't simply be able to pick up a CF5 and have good performance. Swing speed changes based on bat weight, which effects their timing significantly. The lighter CF5's are not made the same was as the full sized CF5's. I've had kids put a hole in a -11 CF5 and when they return the bat to DiMarini, DiMarini has said as much insisting that the -11 and -12 bats are meant for "smaller kids" and they do not have the same construction as the -10 and heavier bats, which wouldn't break under the same use.

In fact, the proper way to choose the correct weight/length bat for a kid is to have them swing, measure the swing speed with a bat-speed radar, and determine the sweet spot between bat swing-mass and swing speed. Generally you want them swinging the heaviest bat they can without slowing their swing down. If they loose more then 2-3mph on their swing speed going up an oz, it's better to use the lighter bat.

-W

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2011
this topic comes up from time to time. Half of the people believe that a composite bat will go dead after about a year of use, and the other half insist that composite bats just keep getting hotter and hotter with use and that the whole "going dead" thing is just a myth. I have absolutely no idea which side is correct.

Jul 26, 2010
It's more a matter of size and strength then age. On average, a 13yo should be able to handle at least a 30in -10 bat, but there are plenty of smaller or skinnier 13 year olds that may not be able to just yet. There are also plenty of 11 year olds that are big enough and strong enough.

I'm not saying this to put down kids in any way. Girls especially develop at different ages. Many grow up on chicken nuggets, hit puberty at 9, tower over their peers at 12, and fade into the background at 14 when the other kids catch up and surpass them. Between 10-14 yo, a lot of things happen.

-W

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2013
So Cal
The vendetta is a very light bat. If she's used to that bat, she won't simply be able to pick up a CF5 and have good performance. Swing speed changes based on bat weight, which effects their timing significantly. The lighter CF5's are not made the same was as the full sized CF5's. I've had kids put a hole in a -11 CF5 and when they return the bat to DiMarini, DiMarini has said as much insisting that the -11 and -12 bats are meant for "smaller kids" and they do not have the same construction as the -10 and heavier bats, which wouldn't break under the same use.

In fact, the proper way to choose the correct weight/length bat for a kid is to have them swing, measure the swing speed with a bat-speed radar, and determine the sweet spot between bat swing-mass and swing speed. Generally you want them swinging the heaviest bat they can without slowing their swing down. If they loose more then 2-3mph on their swing speed going up an oz, it's better to use the lighter bat.

-W
Yes the Vendetta at -12 is very light, too light. Since DD just started 12U travel I want to transition her into a drop -10. She's 11 yo, 4'7" and 70 lbs. She's ready to move to a 19 maybe 20 oz bat, but from what I've read lots of bats run on the heavy side (Xeno, Easton, Anderson). Demarini seems to be the one that is always just a bit underweight. 29/19 is not a popular size so I'm left at 30/19 or 30/20 with the 30/20 being more popular.

Buying the bat speed radar was on my list, but travel ball costs along with all the equipment gets a bit expensive so its low on the list of priorities.

Jan 22, 2013
So Cal
It's more a matter of size and strength then age. On average, a 13yo should be able to handle at least a 30in -10 bat, but there are plenty of smaller or skinnier 13 year olds that may not be able to just yet. There are also plenty of 11 year olds that are big enough and strong enough.

I'm not saying this to put down kids in any way. Girls especially develop at different ages. Many grow up on chicken nuggets, hit puberty at 9, tower over their peers at 12, and fade into the background at 14 when the other kids catch up and surpass them. Between 10-14 yo, a lot of things happen.

-W

Agree, mine's 11, 4'7" and 70 lbs. Almost always the smallest on the team. That's why we still have the Vendetta.

Jul 26, 2010
It might just be better to stick with the Vendetta then get her another small bat, she's probably due for a growth spurt before the next summer season. Believe it or not, some older/bigger kids still swing that bat with success. There's a 5'7" kid on my daughters 18 gold team that swings a Vendetta and hit 2 home runs last weekend. I shrug, the nerd in me knows she can do better, but it's the bat she likes, so it isn't my place to tell her. Conversly, my DD on that team is also 5'7" and swings a 33 -10 insane and did not make it over the fence at all last weekend (she did go 12 for 16 with 3 triples and 4 doubles though).

Spend the money on hitting lessons instead. A great bat is going to get you 25 more feet out of a 150' line drive. The same bat will get you 5 more feet out of a 50' line drive. Determine how hard and how far she is hitting now, and factor in what you believe will be the difference in a hit vs. an out given the added distance she will get by upgrading the bat to determine the value.

-W

Dec 7, 2011
this topic comes up from time to time. Half of the people believe that a composite bat will go dead after about a year of use, and the other half insist that composite bats just keep getting hotter and hotter with use and that the whole "going dead" thing is just a myth. I have absolutely no idea which side is correct.

I bet ya the two "halves" are divided along how hard the DD hits. As the bat gets older it performs better BUT can not take the excess impact of stronger hits. So the more moderate hitter get longer life (and hotter bounce) as the bat continues to break in while the heavy hitter quickly over-stresses the older bat and it more quickly delaminates & fibers break.

Just my guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dothekindthing