How fast does a pitcher have to throw for teams to respect the hard pitches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
The bsc girl is one of the top recruits in the nation and one I was referring to with half of last years top 10 watching. She hits upper 60s at times. Impressive but a unicorn.
This was at the IDT in 2023. I am not sure it's the same girl. Either way, she threw hard. My daughter's organization has a 2026 who throws very hard. I know she opened a lot of eyes at PGF this summer. I will be interested to see who calls her.

Jan 1, 2023
Just in the NE I know of orgs that last season had multiple 2027-2028 girls that could pretty consistently throw 60mph in games.
Rock: 2-4
Dukes: 3 (one played up at 16u)
Huskies South: 2
Huskies North: 3
RTIG: 3 (one played up at 16u)

The one RITG pitcher I saw clocked at 67mph at the game I watched at Nationals.

Then orgs like Bandits, Team NC, Bolts, Tamborra, Top Gun, LLG, and Hot Shots I believe all had multiple girls that could throw 60mph consistently spread among their 13u and 14u teams. I think Ohio Outlaws, too.

That’s not even looking at too much at California, Florida, and Texas, or teams that had top pitchers (Unity, Frost Falcons, Impact, Texas Bombers, Wildcats) who are considered the top of the top.

Intensity even brought I believe a 2030 to 14u Nationals who was throwing well over 60mph.

Maybe 2027-28s are generally throwing faster than 2025-2026s at the same age. They never had to deal much with the 2 feet on the rubber and training has advanced.

I’ve seen lot of 2028s moving up to good 18u teams this fall, including Dukes Lamar, Hotshots, Southern Force, etc.

Nov 9, 2021
Just in the NE I know of orgs that last season had multiple 2027-2028 girls that could pretty consistently throw 60mph in games.
RTIG: 3 (one played up at 16u)

Then orgs like Bandits, Team NC, Bolts, Tamborra, Top Gun, LLG, and Hot Shots I believe all had multiple girls that could throw 60mph consistently spread among their 13u and 14u teams. I think Ohio Outlaws, too.

That’s not even looking at too much at California, Florida, and Texas, or teams that had top pitchers (Unity, Frost Falcons, Impact, Texas Bombers, Wildcats) who are considered the top of the top.

Intensity even brought I believe a 2030 to 14u Nationals who was throwing well over 60mph.

Maybe 2027-28s are generally throwing faster than 2025-2026s at the same age. They never had to deal much with the 2 feet on the rubber and training has advanced.

I’ve seen lot of 2028s moving up to good 18u teams this fall, including Dukes Lamar, Hotshots, Southern Force, etc.

I have seen a lot of girls at 60 for 2027-2028 class. I have seen only a handful over 65 myself so far. So in my mind 65 is elite. Just was curious what others thought and were seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Wow! She must have really exploded in velocity in the last 20 months.

The Rapsodo results I have for her show a max velocity of 57.11 MPH and an average velocity on pitches other than her change of 55.26 MPH. I don't believe for a second she's throwing anywhere near 67 MPH. Even their former player from Maine, who went to Mojo and won PGF, never went above 59.12 MPH.

Jan 1, 2023
A pocket radar. I think her little sister was using it, just holding it up, not moving it. I saw it with my own eyes, I was watching the game directly behind them, as I’m friends with their other pitcher’s dad.

I guess the more plausible explanation is that my vision was off or they rigged the radar to impress the college coach there to watch her.

The girl is like 6ft and built, she should throwing that fast. Here is her post about it, but as I said I was there and saw the radar reading.

Attachments

• IMG_7508.jpeg
    IMG_7508.jpeg
    280.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018

This past summer (2024), Huskies North had 6 14U teams. At most 1 other girl (outside of the 3 you note on the national team) were hitting 60 in game. The national team also pulls from far more than the NE. In 2022 and 2023 there was one girl throwing that hard and she moved to 16U.

Obviously, girls throwing this hard are out there, but it really is a small percentage. When you are playing against true A-Level teams it may seem different. But there really is huge number of B and C level teams compared to A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zs052805