How fast does a pitcher have to throw for teams to respect the hard pitches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 9, 2021
I am sure this changes by age group. But in the older age groups was there a speed threshold that once a pitcher reached it seemed to make a large difference?

Just thinking once teams have to be worried about getting the front foot down to be on time it should make the off speed pitches that much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I am sure this changes by age group. But in the older age groups was there a speed threshold that once a pitcher reached it seemed to make a large difference?

Just thinking once teams have to be worried about getting the front foot down to be on time it should make the off speed pitches that much better.

Depends on the Pool.
Speaking for 18U
HS-56 will seem fast for most players.

Gold-64
Everyone else 60

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Depends on the Pool.
Speaking for 18U

Gold-64
Everyone else 60
We had a 2023 high school grad who consistently threw 61-62. Her speed looked impressive to the rec ball players, but the true travel girls had no problem dialing her up. Her two issues were that she threw straight as an arrow and had questionable control. She would strike out the bottom of the lineup, hit a few batters, and walk the better hitters. When the better hitters got a pitch to hit, they crushed it.

Most regular rec ball girls were convinced they couldn't hit that speed, so they couldn't touch her. They allowed this to intimidate them, causing them to psych themselves out. My daughters crushed her.

May 21, 2018
Agree with Orange Socks for the most part. I'd say in my area you'd need to be above or at 60 to be considered fast in HS.
True National teams I'd say roughly 65, although that's not super common.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

Honestly it depends on the movement. Flat and straight gets hit even at high speed. 57 and breaking 12 inches gets swings and
Misses

Nov 9, 2021
Honestly it depends on the movement. Flat and straight gets hit even at high speed. 57 and breaking 12 inches gets swings and
Misses

I agree movement and locations matter. I guess I am asking if all things are equal, has anyone seen a certain speed threshold that makes a huge difference. If the same girl keeps her same movement, how much more effective is she at 58 as opposed to 55. Or from 57 to 60 is there a noticeable difference in production. Just would think at a certain speed it would exponentially increase a pitchers effectiveness.

Jul 22, 2015
In most cases, for 18u cruising around 60 won't really feel "slow" to anyone. IF (and this is a big IF) the pitcher has the ability to change speeds. If everything is at one speed then even 65 doesn't seem terribly fast to above average hitters after the first time through the batting order. We had a pitcher who could blow people away with 58mph because of her elite change up. Just anecdotal, but my dd would rather have faced 65 without a change up than 60 with a good change up.

Apr 8, 2019
Depends on the Pool.
Speaking for 18U

Gold-64
Everyone else 60
Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but 56 mph seems slow for anyone over 13 y/o. And 60 is a decent HS kid but they would not be considered fast. I realize radar isn't necessarily accurate but I know a lot of girls gunned in the 60s.

Nov 9, 2021
Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but 56 mph seems slow for anyone over 13 y/o. And 60 is a decent HS kid but they would not be considered fast. I realize radar isn't necessarily accurate but I know a lot of girls gunned in the 60s.

While there are a lot of high school girls that can hit 60, I don’t think it is that common. You have a lot of girls pitching in college that probably never hit 60. In my mind 60 is fast and 65+ is what it takes to be effective at the highest levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zs052805