How do you handle going to tryouts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
All the tryouts posts on the local message board got me thinking about the logistics of the thing. I see things about how tryouts will be kept confidential - what if you don't want your current coach to know yet that you're going to tryouts or thinking about switching teams, but you don't really want to do private tryouts because you want to see how they run things in a group, get a look at the current team members, etc.? The softball world is fairly small. We've only ever been to one tryout, for our current team (which we're not thinking of leaving right now, this is purely academic), where we weren't already on the team doing the tryout. At that tryout we ran into 3 girls from our other team. We'd told our current coach we were trying out so it was no big deal but I was thinking about situations where a parent might want to keep it on the down low for whatever reason. I guess you pretty much have to choose between a private tryout and anonymity.

Are there benefits to private tryouts over group tryouts? I guess the one on one would be good, unless you have a kid who shines more in a group scenario.

How common is it for girls on an existing team to go to tryouts in the fall or spring? Do you go to tryouts when you think you want to stay on your team, to see what the options are? Or is that considered bad manners? Do you usually tell your coach ahead of time? I imagine if a coach knows one of his girls is trying out with other teams that's going to affect how he treats her on some level, if she ends up staying put?

Anyway...just thinking random thoughts this morning and thought I'd see what everyone thinks about these situations. Especially the coaches here. This is what I do when it's raining and miserable and I can't take the kid to the park, I have to generate softball discussions online ;) Although, I think I see the sun coming out right now. Whoo hoo!

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
DD has been on the same team for three years and has enjoyed her experience. I was one of the coaches. We had good relationships with the other players, coaches, and families. All in all, it was a good fit for her and I. This summer she decided that she wanted to be part of a team that was more committed towards long term goals, conducted more practices, and had a more aggressive schedule. So we knew it was time to start looking. In addition to coaching, I also make it a point to observe other teams. How is the coaching; during games, during warmups, interactions with players, etc.? Do the players seem prepared? How are the player attitudes; committed, good team players, divas, etc.? How are the parents? Based on our tournament schedule over the past three years, I do not think there is a team within a 50 mile radius that we do not have this type of information for. So when DD decided it was time, we already had a short list of teams that she was interested in playing for, and I thought were a good fit for her.

Since you are stating that you are "not thinking of leaving right now", I would suggest following some of the items listed above throughout your upcoming travel schedule. You may find that another organization down the road may provide a better fit for your DD. Or you may find that her current organization is already a good fit.

May 15, 2014
Atlanta
When our 10u season ended last Spring, we told our coach we were looking at other teams. My daughter wanted to stay with the org but they just were not getting the talent they needed to play at the level the org required and he knew that and totally understood. We did a lot of private tryouts only because she also was playing middle school feeder and it seemed like we had to miss most of the scheduled tryouts because of middle school games. We were able to go to a few team practices during the week so we could see the dynamics and parent interaction. My kid actually prefers private even though it is much harder than group but I will stress to you that you want to see how the parents interact on a team that you are considering. In that case, I would do a private and then go to a team practice. If you are happy with your current team but just want to see what else is out there, I wouldn't tell your current coach about any tryouts.

Jun 12, 2015
We aren't thinking about trying out anywhere this spring. We're definitely staying on our current team this season, at least through July. I was just curious :) There are tryout posts all over the place on the local board. I was kind of wondering if some of our current girls might be hitting some of those tryouts. I don't have any particular reason to think so, but I don't know how common it is for girls to switch teams at this time of year. Some of the more experienced TB parents on our team (with older girls) have said it's pretty common for teams to get shaken up between fall and spring. I feel like our current team is a special group - it would be great to keep them together for years. It's an 06 team with only one 05 player (so obviously we lose her next year, and she's our catcher..boo). But I suppose keeping an entire group together for any length of time is pretty rare?

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
These are pretty good thought provoking questions. As a coach, I personally would never keep a kid back from improving their chances to be recruited. I do tell them that if they leave, leave for the right reasons. What I mean by that is if your on a "B" team, tryout for the "A" teams in the area. Don't go from "B" to another "B" team, always try to improve. And there are always those kids that didn't have a great year, typically they will leave to find greener pastures.

As far as keeping it on the down low, I guess it would depend upon the Coach and how he/she reacts to things. I would like to know, just so I can start thinking on how to replace the player if she leaves. I don't hold grudges, there are plenty of ex players that I see at tournaments and the majority of them come over and give me a big hug. But I can see if the coach does have an ego problem that it would affect the kid telling the coach they are trying out for another team. I guess what I am trying to say is that it would depend upon the coach and your relationship with them.

I'm on the side of the fence that it isn't OK to attend tryouts for teams you are not interested in at all just to get the experience. To me, it isn't fair to me, or the other girls trying out. If your not interested then why make me waste my time with you when I can be looking at someone else. I know it happens, and happens a lot. Personally I don't like it.

Jun 12, 2015
That makes perfect sense, about not attending if you're not really interested in the team. Or at least, not doing that without being up front about it. A coach we know pretty well invited my DD to come to his open workouts and we've thought about it, just to get some softball in during our team's down time. They are building a team and I know he'd love to have our DD but if we do end up going we've been clear that we're not team shopping right now so it would just be for fun and the workout. He said absolutely, no problem, we'd love to have her work out with us regardless. Which I think is different from just going to tryouts pretending like you're considering a team when you're not.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
To me if you are honest up front it can help the situation. What if she tries out and doesn't make another team? If you were honest with her current coach there would probably be more understanding than if it came from another source.

Honestly the softball world is small. A lot of coaches will already know your daughter if she has been playing travel for a couple of years. If my DD was making a change I honestly doubt she would have to do a full fledged tryout because of this.

May 15, 2014
Atlanta
In Georgia, there is quite a bit of movement between fall and spring which is why there are so many tryouts going on. If you are planning on jumping, now is the time. I personally will not allow mine to do that, once she commits to a team in the Fall that is where she stays until the end of Spring.

Jun 12, 2015
In Georgia, there is quite a bit of movement between fall and spring which is why there are so many tryouts going on. If you are planning on jumping, now is the time. I personally will not allow mine to do that, once she commits to a team in the Fall that is where she stays until the end of Spring.
I feel the same way unless there's a really compelling reason. My husband is our AC and he says he thinks we'll lose a couple because that's just how it goes. I hope not though. That said, I do hope some 06 catcher out there is unhappy and wants to join us this spring! ;)

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
When DD #3 jumped from one team to another in August, we were completely transparent with her old coaches, and I contacted them within a few hours so they could scout new players as necessary. I am sure her old coaches were unhappy, but we at least owed them the courtesy of being honest.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors