Honest question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
There are lots of D3 players that could play D1. DD's teammate just transferred from an SEC team.

There are lots of JUCO players who could play D1. However, I can think of some who absolutely dominated at that level but fell short simply because they weren't up to the academics.

Jul 31, 2015
Or were led to believe, if you are good enough they will find you. They didn't do much in the way of recruiting themselves.

JUCOs are much cheaper than regular college.
Good way to get the prerequisites completed before spending $$$ for a bachelors.
What's not to like?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
JUCOs are much cheaper than regular college.
Good way to get the prerequisites completed before spending $$$ for a bachelors.
What's not to like?
Don't get me wrong. There is lots to like. My point is many players play juco b/c they were under recruited because they didn't take their own recruitment into their own hands.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I guess I was envisioning more money being put into the high school programs, perhaps even creating county wide teams if not enough players at each high school. Obviously, the players would have to be competent to make the team. The assumption was that I meant business as usual but I was thinking of TB coaches becoming those high school coaches.
Anyway, just throwing a thought or two out there.
I am both a TB coach and a HS coach. I have a budget of $1000 dollars per year and that includes the requisite balls for games each year which is 5 dozen at $95 a dozen because OHSAA requires our balls to be stamped with their acceptance symbol. I have zero support from the AD. Other coaches from other sports that are out of season are telling the players, If you want to play next year, you better be at these practices,: even if it's against OHSAA rules. Does it do any good to complain to the AD? No. Can I file a complaint with the governing body? Again, no. There is zero support from the players or their families as well so they won't back me. Their rec ball system is a complete joke since the coaches have exactly zero knowledge and have no interest in learning anything about the game. I tried holding coaching clinics last year for them and no one showed up. I tried having player clinics with my HS team to help and one player showed. Believe me when I say the entire county is in much the same situation. There are no TB players on my HS team and few among the other HS teams in the county. The only reason my HS team had any equipment at all is simply because I brought my TB equipment to use. Others have posted similar situations not only on this thread, but many others on this forum as well. What else would you like us to do to compete at a higher level? Remember, colleges are competing at the same time. They've slashed their athletic budgets to the bare minimum in order to not only make tuition affordable to non-athletes but to fund required non-revenue generating sports such as field hockey so they can follow Title IX requirements. This means all of the former college scouts that once were, are now gone. This also means that most college coaches travel budgets are now gone. Thus, they need to make the most bang for their travel budget dollar. This means TB showcases or local large TB tournaments for many college coaches. And don't forget the limited number of days they have to recruit. Whether you like it or not, there's no going back to the "good old days."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06