Hitting two handed fly balls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
I'm not saying this won't work, but I am saying that I'm going to heckle any opposing coach I see pull out a tennis racket to hit infield before a game.

The hardest part will be deciding whether to call him "McEnroe" or "Federer."

I saw the Ole Miss staff doing this. I don't think they used it for infield, but were hitting flies on the side. I don't think they were using normal softballs either, but I don't recall.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I saw the Ole Miss staff doing this. I don't think they used it for infield, but were hitting flies on the side. I don't think they were using normal softballs either, but I don't recall.

It's very hard to hit infield popups with a bat. Hitting fly balls to the OF isn't all that difficult.

Jan 22, 2011
At the college world series at least four of the teams spent 10 to 15 minutes throwing grounders and flyballs for warm-ups and less than 10 minutes hitting off the bat.

Jan 25, 2022
Late response, but I hit two handed and I do best with a short, cheap (or worn out expensive) bat. The one we primarily use is an old 31" Xeno. Still has a little more pop than a garden variety Amethyst or something, but I can lay into it for a normal popup that would sail with a ghost.

It's also better for infield. I've nearly taken a few heads off with my kid's LXT.

Oct 12, 2020
Late response, but I hit two handed and I do best with a short, cheap (or worn out expensive) bat. The one we primarily use is an old 31" Xeno. Still has a little more pop than a garden variety Amethyst or something, but I can lay into it for a normal popup that would sail with a ghost.

It's also better for infield. I've nearly taken a few heads off with my kid's LXT.
I'm actually using a 2016 31" Xeno myself. I've gotten the hang of it in the last couple weeks.

Jan 25, 2022
I'm actually using a 2016 31" Xeno myself. I've gotten the hang of it in the last couple weeks.
Ours has a very predictable barrell so I get a lot more control. I have no idea how long the Xeno model has been around but if I had to guess, this one is more than 10 years old. I found it in a trash can full of old cheap bats that were buried under junk in the dugout room. It looks like it's been through hell.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Two handed for me, been switching up between a 33” Rocketech and a 2016 33” Xeno, depending on mood, or whichever one I grab?

When I see a coach with glove on left hand and bat in right hand, and he’s got it dialed in very precisely I think it’s pretty impressive to watch, I can do it but I’m nowhere near as effective as I am with two hands!

With two hands I can put a ball anywhere I want on a softball field, topspin, backspin, line drives, infield pop ups. I could never do those with one hand!

May 13, 2023
Whether it's one-handed or two-handed Watching a coach be lazy and hit sloppy grounders or fly balls sets a bad standard on the field.

To promote better softball,
think it's best for the defense to see two-handed swings because that is the majority of game like visual representation of the ball coming off the bat.
Seeing body mechanics going into the swing is part of reacting to ball off the bat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying