Hitting is the hardest part of the game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Totally agree with you star, I have noticed that our "local" hitting instructor just uses a machine for the lessons so during the team batting practice I want the girls seeing live pitching. Still don't know what is better tho, using our own pitchers, or just having me throw?

Almost every practice should incorporate some hitting into the session. For example, set-up multiple hitting stations and rotate the players: 1) front toss with game balls (infield); 2) T work and soft toss (outfield); and 3) front toss with TCB balls and mulitple sized wiffles (outfield).

I also think its important to have the batters face live pitching (either in a 6 on 6 scrimmage or at a station in the infield). You cannot replicate hitting in a game without facing live pitching in practice so have your batters bat against pitchers as much as possible.

Lastly, occassionally use the cages to work on timing, hitting mechanics, and to practice bunts.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
We do mutiple stations when we bat, typically at least 4 stations and I try to mix it up as best as possible. I have noticed when we use our own pitchers they tend to let up a bit which causes them to miss, more time is spent with batters watching balls than hitting, that's why I typically throw BP, even though I have to be closer to get the same speed they still get the live pitching.

May 31, 2009
A lot of parents think nothing of paying for music lessons or an academic tutor, yet they expect their DD to be able to hit a softball without lessons. Hitting is an extremely technical part of softball. (I had no idea just how technical until I watched a lesson.) I am guessing most coaches don't spend a lot of time on it because they don't know how to teach it. Those that do often use outdated methods or just bad form. We started private hitting lessons in the fall. My DD has gone from having the most K's on her team to being the 2nd best hitter in the Spring tournaments. This is 100% due to her lessons.

I think hitting instructions are important, but if a kid doesn't put in the extra hours hitting (after practices, etc.) they won't be consistantly good hitters. I've seen kids that haven't had any proffessional teaching, become real good hitters because they would spend a lot of hours a week hitting balls.

Jul 26, 2010
We do mutiple stations when we bat, typically at least 4 stations and I try to mix it up as best as possible. I have noticed when we use our own pitchers they tend to let up a bit which causes them to miss, more time is spent with batters watching balls than hitting, that's why I typically throw BP, even though I have to be closer to get the same speed they still get the live pitching.

I throw a lot of BP too, and spend a bit of time each year learning how to throw the same speed for the age group I'm coaching, but in the end you're just one more pitcher, and you're still limited on time. . . and if you're pitching you're not coaching as effectively as you could be since you're only seeing one angle.

-W

May 25, 2010
A lot of parents think nothing of paying for music lessons or an academic tutor, yet they expect their DD to be able to hit a softball without lessons. Hitting is an extremely technical part of softball. (I had no idea just how technical until I watched a lesson.) I am guessing most coaches don't spend a lot of time on it because they don't know how to teach it. Those that do often use outdated methods or just bad form. We started private hitting lessons in the fall. My DD has gone from having the most K's on her team to being the 2nd best hitter in the Spring tournaments. This is 100% due to her lessons.
With few exceptions and with all due respect, a player who strikes out a lot simply doesn't know how to hit.

So, if she's going to be a ball player, someone has to teach her. I know you're thrilled with your investment, but reps with a live pitcher are critical to teaching the players how to get the job done in a game setting.

Jun 20, 2010
IMO - Hitting during practices is not an efficient use of time. Like others said, it's time intensive, and only one girl is working on it at a time. If that girl is getting enough swings to make the practice worth it, added to the time it takes to field/retrieve balls, multiplied by the number of girls on the team, it takes a long time.

Jul 26, 2010
I've seen my travel balls hitting improve dramatically after we ditched side toss and whiffle toss and went to using TCB balls for front toss in warmups. Doing it with my rec team too, but they just played their first game so it's hard to tell as of yet.

-W

Nov 1, 2009
I see a lot of comments on here that I don't agree with but I appreciate the point of view. In some cases I will even try some of the things I strongly disagree with to make sure I am not being bullheaded or narrow minded.

The one thing I will not do however is let my pitchers throw to my hitters. First of all your pitchers job is get outs and the last thing I want them to do is come to practice and get pounded by good hitters for two hours. Have you ever seen who throws practice for the pros, it sure isn't a pro pitcher and usually isn't anyone who can throw over 70-75 mph. It is the swings that count and timing is something you need to get in the on deck circle or from the dugout.

If you want to be a great team then protect the confidence of your pitchers. At the end of the day my pitchers are going to get out your batters almost every time. If you want to beat us you better be able to defend us.

Jul 26, 2010
I see a lot of comments on here that I don't agree with but I appreciate the point of view. In some cases I will even try some of the things I strongly disagree with to make sure I am not being bullheaded or narrow minded.

The one thing I will not do however is let my pitchers throw to my hitters. First of all your pitchers job is get outs and the last thing I want them to do is come to practice and get pounded by good hitters for two hours. Have you ever seen who throws practice for the pros, it sure isn't a pro pitcher and usually isn't anyone who can throw over 70-75 mph. It is the swings that count and timing is something you need to get in the on deck circle or from the dugout.

If you want to be a great team then protect the confidence of your pitchers. At the end of the day my pitchers are going to get out your batters almost every time. If you want to beat us you better be able to defend us.

Pitchers should never through "meatballs down the middle" for BP, I agree. I do not agree with pitchers throwing BP, or "Batting Practice". What I do agree with is that pitchers should throw "hitting practice". Pitcher's throw to batters with the goal of striking them out with a ball/strike count, just like in a game. This helps pitchers, since it is a pressure situation and they learn what pitches they can place where in the count, and hitters learn to hit against a pitcher that is trying to strike them out.

Practice like you play.

-W

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
The only way a players is going to become a good hitter is to practice at home.

My philosophy on this. Team practice is where you get instruction from your coaches. What to fix and how to fix it and a few reps to make sure you understand what is being taught. Outside of team practice is where you put in the hundreds of reps it's going to take to fix the things that need fixing.

I don't think 30 - 40 swings, if that, during all skills practice and 1.5 - 2 hours drills and BP is enough to make anyone a good hitter. Especially when these are the times that coaches are trying to achieve change and improvement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaGranya