Hitting grounders

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
The stance is sit which makes you stand. Try standing to make you sit.. Imo, she has no choice but to stand up.
Agree about the stance and how it could be effecting her movement. Outside of Bagwell I cannot think of anybody with a pronounced sit like that in their stance.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Agree about the stance and how it could be effecting her movement. Outside of Bagwell I cannot think of anybody with a pronounced sit like that in their stance.

yeah Bagwell sat down quite a bit, but once he started, he got his pelvis in a pretty good position (neutral) to adjust if needed. Seems hard to do. But it worked for him.

The key is just getting the hips to tilt at forward move so you are in the middle before toe touch. Adjust flatter for pitches up, steeper for lower pitches. Unfortunately, the hands will follow the direction of the hips regardless of what you want to do w your hands. So I guess the hands follow the hips.🤷🏽‍♂️ LOL. Just not actively. imo of course.

The hips do ‘drive’ the swing. LOL. More like steer the swing. Or keep it in it’s intended lane I guess. Alignment? I dunno 😆. I’m just trying to ‘shoehorn’ for my MIA BBD buddy.. and a few others.

Jun 8, 2016
The hips do ‘drive’ the swing. LOL. More like steer the swing. Or keep it in it’s intended lane I guess. Alignment? I dunno 😆. I’m just trying to ‘shoehorn’ for my MIA BBD buddy.
I am sure Mud will appreciate it.. ;)

Jun 8, 2016
SB was my main target. Miss the old baseball head. Can’t believe I’m saying that. Haha.
Ah..I thought the hips comment was for Mud. Yeah I don't know where SB is. I should message him on twitter and tell him you miss him..

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Ah..I thought the hips comment was for Mud. Yeah I don't know where SB is. I should message him on twitter and tell him you miss him..

haha. He won’t believe you! It was for Mud as well. I’m sure he will be proud of me. Mud is around here and there. Not as active anymore.

Edit: I can’t message SB on Twitter. He blocked me. 😆

Jan 6, 2018
Hey, some really great advice on the swing above, and it’s all good!

I‘m going to focus on the equipment. Looks like a flat screen net?

She may be unconsciously compensating for where the ball goes after it hits the net, especially indoors. And it’s pretty far away, so she might be consciously trying to not miss the middle of it.

I‘d grab a big mouth type net.

Way back when, a cat named Howard Carrier posted here as “Hitter”. He was way ahead of his time. I also was trying to fix a spate of ground balls and back then our goal was line drives. Here is what Howard sent me:

The hitting net is marked with (2) two horizontal lines one line at 51 inches high and another line at 39 inches high, as measured from the floor. The hitting net is also marked with one vertical line down the middle. Paint the 51 inch and 39 inch lines black and paint the middle of the two line red also paint the vertical line black. The Tee is setup to represent a down the middle pitch and is positioned about to 2 to 3 inches forward of Home plate. Tee is set up 4 ½ feet from the net, and 29 ½ inches high. With this setup the 51 inches horizontal line on the net represents a 26 degree angle from the top of the tee, while the 39 inch line represents a 10 degree angle from the top of the tee. If the ball is hit at the 39 inch line, it would make the ball at 86 feet which is second base for softball, the ball would be about 8 to 10 feet high and at the 51 inch line possible out of the park. Provided the middle of the ball is hit with about a 8 to 10 degree up swing. Always line up off the back corner of home plate the length of a bat. We lay the bat down on the back corner of home plate with the sweet spot on the plate. We stand /set up to hit at the end of the handle of the lay downed bat. ( not tee *see picture of schutt Multi position Tee) as a reference point so we are consistent when determining where the ball hit’s the net when doing Tee work. Difficult to establish bat control without having a place to set up that would make hitting a ball off the tee in a fixed position repeatable in my opinion. When done correctly and when hitting up the middle the ball should hit in the zone and be close to the vertical line.

I did it with rope weaved into my nets. Things used to be more complicated! Now, you can use the Measure app in an iPhone and get the angles for any tee position. If I did it today, I would use different color paint or string to represent different goals for different tee heights. I would also consider making my target angles slightly higher. After all, a ball hit with 64 mph exit velocity at 36* launch angle will be otf at most college fields…. (We always took the approach that a ball hit that high should be a “mistake”. I might rethink that in 2021.)

I have two daughters, one is 23 and one is 19. I have kept the note Howard sent me since they were little gals playing local tb. That note was easily some of the best info anyone ever gave me, I was a dad that never played ball and was just trying to help my daughters. I have passed it on and reposted it several times, it is really good stuff.
I love this post here - I know ZIP about hitting mechanics, but she needs to try to hit the ball OVER that net where it's at. She's practicing ground balls!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06