High strike.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2016
My DD complains about it as a pitcher. But i tell her, need to adjust to umpires zone as a hitter or a pitcher. Had games this weekend and one called from the shins to the thigh a strike, and the next games ump called it belt to the letters. The thing i always tell DD, it doesn't matter what you think, it's how the ump calls it.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
My DD complains about it as a pitcher. But i tell her, need to adjust to umpires zone as a hitter or a pitcher. Had games this weekend and one called from the shins to the thigh a strike, and the next games ump called it belt to the letters. The thing i always tell DD, it doesn't matter what you think, it's how the ump calls it.

I think venting/laughing about it is fine. But, at the end of the day this is the correct mentality. Zones changing umpire to umpire, game to game, or inning to inning have been the case for many many many years. And will continue to be the case for many many many years.

DD just had a game where bottom of knee to belt was a strike. Anything above was a ball. And DD has had games where at the neck it was likely to be a strike. Were those catching an arm pit? Tough to say, but had she stood on the plate I'm pretty sure one or two would have hit her in the mouth. Is what it is.

Jun 8, 2016
The umpire had a bad strikezone..was this the first time you have seen this or was this just another opportunity to post your DD hitting?

Jan 8, 2019
If that was called somewhat consistently, we'll gladly trade you for some of our blues.

Adjust and deal with it. No one is perfect, everyone calls the zone differently for many different reasons (experience, training, fatigue, etc.).

Coaches should be instructing athletes to communicate and adapt.

B1 strikes out, high fives B2 on the way back to dugout, mentions to her and the bench that blue is calling shoulders, keep an eye out for it with 2 strikes.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I'm with you. My daughter is short as well. I have a good many videos of called strikes at her eyeballs and above. It's part of being short.
I've had other parents in the stands I'd have to calm down because of called strikes on her. Her last 3 years of HS and travel ball she was always in the 2, 3 or 4 hole, every hitter before her and behind were always a head taller, Blue never adjusted for her height!

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
The umpire had a bad strikezone..was this the first time you have seen this or was this just another opportunity to post your DD hitting?

I just thought it was funny that she swung at and hit a ball at her eyeballs. Sorry it triggered you. I’ll try to be more sensitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Amen. Used to make me crazy when my daughter struck out because she didn't agree with the umpire's strike zone.
I could be totally making this up and I'm sure it comes from watching both of my DD's (pitcher & catcher) struggling with it at different times in their careers. Pitchers & Catchers work on and around that strike zone so much, they know where it's theoretically supposed to be and when an ump calls it differently it's often really hard to adjust and accept.

Jun 8, 2016
I just thought it was funny that she swung at and hit a ball at her eyeballs. Sorry it triggered you. I’ll try to be more sensitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If she had hit a popup would you have posted it?

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019
Anna's 5'0".....she had to deal with this in every softball game she's ever played in, seriously!
My DD too, she's 5 foot and the coach for some reason batted her behind the tallest player (5'10) on the team, really messed up the umpires strike zone for DD

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying