Pitchers parents

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2018
We tried the Beta version of Game Changer with the Pocket Radar app last season. After three innings, the opposing team, whose pitcher's father swore she threw 63 MPH, came over and demanded the PR feed be turned off since he never consented to it. Considering she never broke 58 MPH, I suspect his motivations slightly differed from his claim.
My DD has been clocked as high as 64 at lessons and breaks into the 60's regularly, but as far as I can tell, has never topped 59 in games, and some/lots of games probably doesn't even get that. I think a lot of people get really excited about the speeds posted in lessons, but those speeds don't always translate to the field.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
He was taking a video on a GoPro of his daughter's pitching and hitting highlights, so he saw my rig on the fence.
P.S. We won the game 15-1. My daughter slightly outperformed his daughter that day. His daughter went 4 IP, 10 H, 15 R, 10 ER,9 Ks, and 7 BB. My daughter went 3-4 at the plate and 5 IP, 0 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 12 Ks, and 0 BB. We did, however, commit three errors in the field that allowed the run to score. Yes, one of the errors was on my daughter, a fact I reminded her of the next day. LOL
"Slightly."
That was very compassionate of your DD. Goose eggs hurt. :)

Jun 20, 2015
the speed thing is always a thing. From the coaches that only judge a pitcher by the radar gun to the parents that fudge the numbers on recruiting profile.

Brings me back to long ago when my DD was trying out for a 14u squad. just normal try out stuff.... pitchers and catchers stay after... blah blah.

Coach eventually comes over and wants to talk to me about my DD and no place for her on squad to pitch cause she's just not hitting the mph number he 'needs'. I'm like fine. Everyone's here and warmed up, coach let's let her pitch to your best hitters.... so, she gets in circle and about 40 pitches & 4 batters later nobody's hit a fair ball yet. Needless to say, walked from that tryout and found a better fit. Still laugh about that with her.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Whenever I read these type messages, I feel ashamed. I only had 3 pitches, 4 if you include a curve but that was rarely thrown. Rise and low rise are technically the same pitch, but to make myself feel better I'd want them to be counted independently so that would raise my pitch quantity.

I'd better stop at 5 pitches, I think my catchers only have 5 fingers for the signals. I'm not sure if it's a male/female thing but, I've never been lucky enough to pitch for a team where my catcher had more than 5 fingers. I'm sure somewhere in human history that someone was born with 8 fingers on their hand but, then I'd have to hope that person was a catcher.
being born with 6 fingers isn't all that rare. It effects about 1 in 1,000 babies. But like you, I can't recall meeting any 6 fingered men outside the Princess Bride movie. Maybe I have an they just didn't mention it and I didn't notice it.

Jan 25, 2022
If a pitcher's parent tells you how fast their DD can throw, automatically subtract 5 MPH. And that may be conservative.

I got myself a pocket radar for Christmas. Took it to the cage one night to see what my kid was throwing. I had guessed she was flirting with 50 here and there. Turned out it was 45 dead-on almost every time.

Another kid was there and her parents had claimed she was clocked at 58 at a D1 camp about 6 months earlier. I knew that wasnt accurate anyway, but I had been told the only number witnessed on the radar that day was 47. Eyeball radar said she wasn't throwing a whole lot faster than my kid. So with her permission, she was clocked and never got past 49, which she only hit twice.

I don't know if she got in the car crying or what, but boy did it almost hit the fan. Never clocking her again.

Jan 1, 2023
My DD has been clocked as high as 64 at lessons and breaks into the 60's regularly, but as far as I can tell, has never topped 59 in games, and some/lots of games probably doesn't even get that. I think a lot of people get really excited about the speeds posted in lessons, but those speeds don't always translate to the field.
Some pitchers are the opposite. My DD’s highest clocked speed was during a game clocked by an opposing team, and I clock and video her a lot when we practice. In general, though, she just pitches much, much better in games than practice.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles