High School Ball vs Travel Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

3sDad

Whats yalls opinion on HS ball vs travel ball...as far as the good, bad and the plain ugly...o
So far HS ball seems to me like rec ball with good uniforms...
I HOPE yall have good HS coaches and for those of you who dont, and your kids dont play....stick with travel ball.....

Aug 16, 2010
We began serious TB program around our schools (12u - HS) about 6 years ago. Probably 75% of all HS players came up through that program. The coach - does not participate at all - she has no clue why she won her 1st title 5 years ago and has been either champ or co-champ every year since. She accepts her "coach of year" honors regularly with pride (takes off from May - January) and shows back up for a newly restocked team.

Jul 26, 2010
It depends on the size (population) of the high school.

Out here in NorCal, we have 5 high schools in the same area that our rec league serves, so that's 5 HS teams pulled from the same pool of talent as the rec league. While there are a good portion of girls that don't play rec ball anymore and play on A travelball teams, the HS teams are generally a mix of travel and rec players on sheer necessity. In reality, it's basically an extension of rec ball that includes the players that left rec a few years earlier.

For some areas, high schools are huge, and there is a lot more talent to pull from, so the quality of the team is different.

HS ball is about the experience, not about the quality of play. I wouldn't deny my daughter playing HS ball just because the quality wasn't there. . . but I wouldn't deny her playing TB if she enjoyed competitive softball. High level TB teams are the elite of youth softball.

-W

3sDad

Thanks for the replies, we have a very limited pool to pick from, and the Coach here doesnt seem to grasp the concept of winning...and being used to playing travel ball with great coaching...its like stepping out of a Ferrari into a 1982 Yugo...

Oct 18, 2009
In our area, unless you go to one of the few private schools known for their softball program; HS ball is basically little league all stars but older with a few travel ball players mixed in. HS ball is for bragging rights; Travel ball is where the best HS players in the area are on the same team.

Jan 15, 2009
Take it for what it's worth. It's heavily subsidized in most areas so it's low cost. It's convenient, 5 days a week usually right after school located at school or bused to offsite locations. You might get pretty good coaching, or you might not, but if your kid will get lots of practice reps either way and most kids that age need more reps (not more lessons) at worst it's still slightly better than self directed practice time and for most it should be a positive experience overall.

Jun 21, 2010
We began serious TB program around our schools (12u - HS) about 6 years ago. Probably 75% of all HS players came up through that program. The coach - does not participate at all - she has no clue why she won her 1st title 5 years ago and has been either champ or co-champ every year since. She accepts her "coach of year" honors regularly with pride (takes off from May - January) and shows back up for a newly restocked team.

That's great, and funny. You'd think she would ask if any of the players have any offseason experience but I guess she's taking the "Don't ask, don't tell" approach.

HS vs Travel
I coach TB 18u, this year my teams from 7 different schools, some large most small, heres some pros and cons.
Pro-they have a ball in hand each day. Con-most coaches hurt rather than help....daily
Pro-they get hands on ability to organize a team. Con-they get hands on ability organizing a team
Pro-pressure free fun Con-pressure free competition
Pro-able to play different position(s) Con-our TB pitchers throw 90% of the innings
Pro-hone/work on skills TB coach reccomended Con-player works on reccomended skill unsupervised and creates poor mechanics
Pro-a break from TB schedule Con-TB coaches every summer spend too much time re-teaching focus
Pro-I get to watch my kids as a spectator Con-TB coach feeling sad seeing his kids miss thier 'real' team
Pro-geting name in newspaper more Cons-college coaches care less about HS ball
Pro-making all-confrence Con-TB coaches disinfecting team from thier HS hangover (so many bad habits to fix)

May 18, 2009
Older DD had last practice with TB coach last night. HS ball is starting and due to the rules she can not practice with TB team until HS season is over. TB coach tells all girls playing HS ball to listen to and practice the way the HS coach wants until they are back with TB team. Do it out of respect even if you don't think it's right. I've heard horror stories about the type of play DD will see against other HS teams. No pitching, rec league type of play. Wish we could do both at the same time. DD wishes we could do both at same time.

Jan 19, 2011
I do both... coach HS and TB. Here in NC most HS conferences are weak after the top 3 teams. However the top 3 are very good. They would give most, if not all, travel teams a very good game. I coach none of the HS girls in travel ball and most are on some of the top teams in north Carolina. We are fortunate to have the USA today #1 ranked team in conference and another top 20 team on schedule.

With that said, most schools don't hire a softball coach, they hire a teacher and get them to coach. HS softball should be about bus rides, outings, and meomeries, things such as that. Most, if not all of the girls have grown up together and will remember these days for the rest of their lives. Granted, I feel fortunate to have a good group of girls that happen to be really good softball players.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd