What % Travel ball players don't play high school ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2019
I think it depends quite a bit on where you live. Pretty much everyone plays HS ball where I'm from partly because there is no club ball being played during the HS season.

However, I did hear of one girl who was signed by a top-five college who had not played HS ball through her junior season. Her college coach made her play HS in her senior year. The reasoning was that school ball has a different cadence with games being played during the school week, and she would need to get used to playing weeknight games vs travel ball being only on weekends.

Aug 9, 2021
I cannot think of a decent travel ball player in our area that does not play for their respective HS team (or ones they were "recruited" to). Maybe a couple of primadonnas that will likely tap out at 18U or before. For us, it's a break from travel ball and fun for the girls to play with friends/classmates and enjoy the HS experience (to the extent that is possible). Huge discrepancy in talent disbursement around the area...some teams are stacked and others have 1 or 2 TB players.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
We are in an area close to Missouri where they play HS ball in the fall so, potentially, if a girl wanted to forego HS ball, they could go to Missouri. Still, I have known of two players who played TB who did not play HS in our school.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
It's a rarity by me to see a girl who plays TB and not for their HS. We had one girl a few years back whose mom forced her to go to a Catholic school with a terrible program. She played her freshman year, but she ran track her sophomore year. The lack of ABs hurt her for that summer, so the dad finally convinced the mother to allow her to go to public school instead for her junior year.

All of the top TB players play HS ball, unless they're homeschooled.

May 21, 2018
We are in an area close to Missouri where they play HS ball in the fall so, potentially, if a girl wanted to forego HS ball, they could go to Missouri. Still, I have known of two players who played TB who did not play HS in our school.
I'm in the same area, and I agree with this post. I will add that the Missouri High School season is going on currently and it's been pretty fun to watch. 2 of the big time pitchers in the area have been dueling it out in school season and it's been quite a battle. They actually get a fair amount of attention on social media and the news paper websites.

May 13, 2023
I'm in the same area, and I agree with this post. I will add that the Missouri High School season is going on currently and it's been pretty fun to watch.

2 of the big time pitchers in the area have been dueling it out in school season and it's been quite a battle. They actually get a fair amount of attention on social media and the news paper websites.
That is fun! How many other teams in the league are competitive against them?

Aug 5, 2022
We don’t have a single kid that has played with dd on any of her elite teams that does not play high school ball and I can’t think of one from our periphery that plans to play in college that doesn’t play in high school. I can think of one kid who enjoyed playing that continued to play in the summer but didn’t play high school because she didn’t want to play JV and wasn’t going to make varsity. She doesn’t plan to play in college.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 21, 2018
That is fun! How many other teams in the league are competitive against them?
I'm no expert on St. Louis softball, but one of the teams has one loss while the other has seven. I pay attention because DD has lessons with one of them. This girl is a junior this year and throws in the mid 60's. She pops up on Fastpitch Power's twitter quite often so she clearly works with more than one instructor. The other girl I'm not familiar with, but she must be good.

I'd like to go watch some of the games, but currently tied up with school volleyball season.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles