Help on pitching drill using a concrete cinder block

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2010
I'm looking for someone who can explain a drill to me.

It involves the pitcher starting square to the plate with her left foot on top of a regular sized concrete cinder block and her right leg on the ground behind it.

In the drill, the pitcher starts with a normal motion and steps up onto the block and delivers the ball. It can be done at varying speed depending upon the balance and accuracy of the pitcher.

From what I've been told, it helps with two things:
(1) requires a good 5-7 o'clock release point (it removes the power stride to focus on the coordination between the front leg and release point); and
(2) balance (not left to right but vertical - front to back - that is it attempts to keep the pitcher from leaning or hunching toward the plate and keep them in an upright position).

Anyway, I had never heard of this drill until recently, but them I'm just a recent recruit into the bucket brigade.

Is anyone more familiar with the coaching points of this drill? And if so, can you fill me in a little.

Thanks.

Jul 26, 2010
It helps keep them from leaning forward. Ironically, leaning forward is usually created by performing various other drills that do not incorporate the entire pitching motion.

You can get some cinder blocks, or you can get rid of the stupid drills that are destroying the girls form in the first place. I opt for the lighter load.

-W

Sep 29, 2010
Gentlemen, thanks for your comments on drills in in general. I was hoping for more direct comment on this particular drill. Thanks.

Jan 30, 2010
When steping up first, then out. That will keep your upper body more upright. If you are stepping out to early that will cause you to lean forward.
I use my DD's equipment bag instead of the block. She has to step up over the bag with lead foot and then out.Also helps with balance.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
U of A uses it. They use a wooden box, so that it gives a little and the pitcher does almost a walk through, hitting it with the last stride of the right foot. It gives them a spring and a push through and momentum. You certainly cannot lean forward.

Teresa Wilson may have originated this.

I went to Home Depot and found a plastic box in plumbing, that was exactly what I needed. The box cannot move or shift.

It is definitely an advanced drill, I would think.

Jun 13, 2009
U of A uses it. They use a wooden box, so that it gives a little and the pitcher does almost a walk through, hitting it with the last stride of the right foot. It gives them a spring and a push through and momentum. You certainly cannot lean forward.

Teresa Wilson may have originated this.

I went to Home Depot and found a plastic box in plumbing, that was exactly what I needed. The box cannot move or shift.

It is definitely an advanced drill, I would think.

This may be reason enough to avoid it!!!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30