Hate to do it, but I have another scoring question.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
If its international tie break runner always unearned. The runner did not earn her way on base but was placed there.

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
Tie breaker can ruin a perfect game and the pitcher can loose, on a sac bunt to get the runner to third and a sac fly to score the runner on 3rd. Still a perfect game? Thanks to the greedy ISF, Don Porter, and his rules committee. ISF WT is every 2 years now, with a 20 second pitching clock...Softball was never meant for this BS.
The ISF pitching rule is also out of control, allowing pitchers to throw, with both feet, off the ground, and replanting, in both male, and female games. This is for future Olympic games too if, Girl"s FP ever get back into the games. Wow. What's next?

So can a pitcher throw a perfect game and still get a lost? I think so.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
Tie breaker can ruin a perfect game and the pitcher can loose, on a sac bunt to get the runner to third and a sac fly to score the runner on 3rd. Still a perfect game? Thanks to the greedy ISF, Don Porter, and his rules committee. ISF WT is every 2 years now, with a 20 second pitching clock...Softball was never meant for this BS.

Um what?

First off, ISF no longer exists. It's the ISBF now. (not that I agree with it)

Secondly, international tie break has been in for YEARS. I can remember watching international matches with this as a kid in the early 90s.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Hey Lozza, I know you've taken some advanced statistical courses, and you'd probably know better than anyone so help me out would ya?

Statistically how can the ITB runner be charged to the pitcher as even unearned? The pitcher should be charged by the runners he/she puts on base. And of course in this case, the pitcher never faced the base runner. ( kinda like a starting pitcher putting the runner on and a relief coming in mid-inning )

I do realize this is a petty stat, most teams might face this a couple times a season, but I'd still like to get it right.

So when you stat this situation are you giving the "team" a run allowed AND the pitcher a unearned run? The team a run allowed, and nothing for the individual pitcher ( like a ghost runner )?

Thanks Lozza.

Mar 13, 2010
Well the 'team' doesn't really have earned runs like a pitcher does. The earned and unearned runs are purely for the pitchers stats.

The reason the ITB runner is always unearned, is precis,y for the reasons you're stating, that the runner has been placed on base through no fault of the pitcher. The runner didn't earn that base, it was give to them. Same way as getting on because of an error, or being the runner crossing the plate after the third out should have happened. The pitcher has done their job and while the run is scored the pitchers stats don't suffer for some thing out of their control.

Not sure why you're asking why the run should be charged to the pitcher. They're not. By being an unearned run they are not counted against the pitcher. So for the example for this thread, the pitchers ERA for this game is 0.00

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Well the 'team' doesn't really have earned runs like a pitcher does. The earned and unearned runs are purely for the pitchers stats.

Yes, I understand that. The team would have "runs allowed" as a "team statistic". This is where I believe the ITB scored runner should be booked............only. Not in the pitcher's "run stat".

The pitcher has done their job and while the run is scored the pitchers stats don't suffer for some thing out of their control.

Not sure why you're asking why the run should be charged to the pitcher. They're not. By being an unearned run they are not counted against the pitcher.

Again I understand ya, but I'm trying to figure out if the "run" is even counted in the pitchers complete stats. Only reason I'm asking is, let's say you have a "weird" season and go to IR every game. If that placed runner scores every game that will run up the pitcher's "runs" stat.

Hope what I'm asking makes since, I know it's petty, just trying to find the "answer". Lol

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I get what you're asking GD. The run is only credited to the "Team" and is not included in an individual pitcher's R total or ERA stats. "Team" runs are not further classed as earned or unearned.

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
Um what?

First off, ISF no longer exists. It's the ISBF now. (not that I agree with it)

Secondly, international tie break has been in for YEARS. I can remember watching international matches with this as a kid in the early 90s.

Where did you hear that the ISF no longer exists? The International Softball Federation is men, boys, women, and girls. You are talking Olympics only. And I doubt FP will ever make it back to the Olympics, because most of the countries can't compete. The 1st ISF WT was in 1966. My home town won it. They won it again in 68 too. The Aurora, Il. Sealmasters. Japan won the last women ISF WT, over team USA, in extra innings with the tie breaker rule. Team New Zealand just won the 2013 ISF WT in March, in New Zealand. The ISF WT is every other year now.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl