Haley’s HLP lesson with Richard

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
So that concludes the lesson with Richard. He said some very complementary things about Haley’s swing and even threw me a bone.

In learning the HLP I feel like I’ve made every mistake possible. A lot of it was due to interpretation of what was said and my thinking getting in the way. Even though you hear things, it doesn’t mean it registers enough to make a change in a pattern. I have a lot of resource video of Haley learning from scratch. Here might be a good place to share her growth.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
In learning the HLP here are some things I struggled with early on.

1. The coil vs laterally shifting weight. A lot of confusing terms associated with this.
Go forward but stay back.
All back all forward.
Getting stuck on the backside.
And the biggest confusion of them all
Weighting the front foot.

If you doing this swing, understand a weighted front foot will be a challenge to snapping the barrel rearward and you might not realize the two are connected. A lot of swings are leveraged and powered by the front foot stopping energy and redirecting it through the core in to the torso and it finds it way to the barrel. This swing uses the rear hip to leverage against and uses the front leg for balanced in a secondary role. It took me years to get and understand this but once I did I started seeing where and why my players struggled. The way you perform this swing is different than how others swing.

Momentum can hurt the learning process

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2017
Was there something wrong with the swing that she had been building or is this just tweaks to what was in place already?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Was there something wrong with the swing that she had been building or is this just tweaks to what was in place already?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

The swing she had when she 1st came to the high school was a totally pull swing with some power but she could not hit anything middle away. She has the desire and work ethic to play in college, so we started her journey and transition to the HLP swing.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Mike,

I appreciate you sharing the lessons and the journey. Unfortunately many of these discussions end up sounding like arguments over religion or politics. Sometimes worse... But ultimately it is just about helping players improve. To me it really isn't important who each person follows, as long as they are happy with the results they are getting.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Mike,

I appreciate you sharing the lessons and the journey. Unfortunately many of these discussions end up sounding like arguments over religion or politics. Sometimes worse... But ultimately it is just about helping players improve. To me it really isn't important who each person follows, as long as they are happy with the results they are getting.

I’ve seen some of those, I must admit even though manny don’t agree with Richard’s teaching, all have been polite and very helpful. I’m not looking for tug o war over hitting , teach what you want to teach. I’m posting this so that there’s that are interested in this style have some help.

like I said in the beginning, this thread will likely die off and I’ll go back to posting on Haley’s soon to be senior yr.

Apr 12, 2015
I’ve seen some of those, I must admit even though many don’t agree with Richard’s teaching

My background is in pitching, but I'm always willing to listen to and investigate something new, even if many don't agree with it. Over in the pitching forum, Boardmember received a TON of pushback from "experts" when he started advocating internal rotation and telling us all we were doing it wrong.

Thank you for this thread.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
My background is in pitching, but I'm always willing to listen to and investigate something new, even if many don't agree with it. Over in the pitching forum, Boardmember received a TON of pushback from "experts" when he started advocating internal rotation and telling us all we were doing it wrong.

Thank you for this thread.
Yes, in I believe it was about 2011 I was also on the pitching side at that time. Board member has a strong personality and definitely knew his stuff. I’m a novice and am still learning and growing. In fact me sharing is a step outside my comfort zone but it’s my small way to give back to others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl