Haley’s HLP lesson with Richard

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
He is calling it a dovetail bat- what I would call it is a Trey Hannem Half Bat.

If/when I coach young kids again, I’m going to have a bag full of them. That bat with a bucket of used up tennis balls and wiffles or foam balls is the best money you can spend besides a backyard cage and a pitching screen.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I don't believe most 5 to 11 years old girls have the hand strength to learn this pattern. Therefore, you would be stuck trying to reinvent a swing at age 13 or 14. Think there would be more failure than success. It was also mentioned that it is hard to learn. I like a pattern that is more natural, balanced and easier to learn.

The barrel snap initiating the swing is the one thing I cant not wrap my head around. And I think at game speed it probably comes under the feel vs the real. He has the tail wagging the dog, so to speak, and I would have the dog wagging the tail.

With this pattern is it impossible to check your swing?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't believe most 5 to 11 years old girls have the hand strength to learn this pattern. Therefore, you would be stuck trying to reinvent a swing at age 13 or 14. Think there would be more failure than success. It was also mentioned that it is hard to learn. I like a pattern that is more natural, balanced and easier to learn.

The barrel snap initiating the swing is the one thing I cant not wrap my head around. And I think at game speed it probably comes under the feel vs the real. He has the tail wagging the dog, so to speak, and I would have the dog wagging the tail.

With this pattern is it impossible to check your swing?

When I was growing up, my local coaches always talked about the hands being the "trigger" of the swing. They did not promote "hands before hips". They also did not promote "hips before hands". In most great swings, the actual launch of both is synced. We talked about stretch back in the day. Now some talk about getting the slack out. Regardless of the choice of terms, it's about getting the body to work together. I believe it was Swingbuilder that stated "Hands and Hips drive the swing".

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
He is calling it a dovetail bat- what I would call it is a Trey Hannem Half Bat.

If/when I coach young kids again, I’m going to have a bag full of them. That bat with a bucket of used up tennis balls and wiffles or foam balls is the best money you can spend besides a backyard cage and a pitching screen.

The half bat you hit on the flat paddle side. The dove tail bat you hit on the edge similar to the pro hammer. We use baseballs to hit with because you could hear when you had a clean hit.

Dove Tail Bat is the name of the company

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2014
The other thing I struggled with was the bat angle.

I don't understand the hand pivot being the first movement. I don't see that as a reality of what happens in a high level swing. Does he have any video of MLB players doing it? I also feel like when you let the ball travel so far into your stance, you reduce the length of your swing and subsequently your bat speed. Not sure how you can have as much power.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
I don't understand the hand pivot being the first movement. I don't see that is a reality of what happens in a high level swing. Does he have any video of MLB players doing it? I also feel like when you let the ball travel so far into your stance, you reduce the length of your swing and subsequently your bat speed. Not sure how you can have as much power.
In good swings/high level hitters you will see that the barrel pretty much initially travels perpendicular to the rear forearm. HLP's interpretation of how that is done is what you saw in the video(s). Others have different reasons for that happening. ?‍♂️

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
When I was growing up, my local coaches always talked about the hands being the "trigger" of the swing. They did not promote "hands before hips". They also did not promote "hips before hands". In most great swings, the actual launch of both is synced. We talked about stretch back in the day. Now some talk about getting the slack out. Regardless of the choice of terms, it's about getting the body to work together. I believe it was Swingbuilder that stated "Hands and Hips drive the swing".

Here is a video of Haley and my granddaughter 2 years ago working on leading with the barrel snap. Almost every time my granddaughter missed the ball she was late because she moved her body 1st. When she hit the ball, she started with the hands turning the barrel. This is not a scientific study just our experience. Remember both these girls are learning a new pattern, be kind and take it for what it worth.

Mar 28, 2014
In good swings/high level hitters you will see that the barrel pretty much initially travels perpendicular to the rear forearm. HLP's interpretation of how that is done is what you saw in the video(s). Others have different reasons for that happening. ?‍♂️
I'm talking about where he says the body doesn't move at all until the hands start turning the bat. That movement comes first then the body turns. I just don't see that as being feasible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl