Haley’s HLP lesson with Richard

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
Here is a video of Haley and my granddaughter 2 years ago working on leading with the barrel snap. Almost every time my granddaughter missed the ball she was late because she moved her body 1st. When she hit the ball, she started with the hands turning the barrel. This is not a scientific study just our experience. Remember both these girls are learning a new pattern, be kind and take it for what it worth.

First 2 swings by the older girl -- Her hands look static at the start of the swing to me. I see her turning her body first. What am I missing?

Jun 8, 2016
I'm talking about where he says the body doesn't move at all until the hands start turning the bat. That movement comes first then the body turns. I just don't see that as being feasible.
I am not agreeing one way or the other, only explaining what his reasoning is for doing what he is doing. Also those are drills for a specific feel. There is "body movement" in real swings before the initial hand/forearm pivot and he doesn't say otherwise.

jtePIiP.gif

Like @FP26 said above, a lot of things appear to happen simultaneously..which makes sense based upon how much time you actually have to hit. In the above you could argue that the hands and hips go (hands go as in start some movement/action, not necessarily towards the ball) almost at the same time. If you can get your hitter to look like that, or similarly, like this

9oKEeE5.gif

regardless of how you do it, you are going to have success.

With regards to arguments for the hand/forearm pivot action, the below clips are often used to demonstrate:

gixJZsS.gif

H3xLLGg.gif

Again, just providing information here...not going to get into any arguments :)

I would suggest you visit the TTB thread(s) on this forum to see a "thorough" discussion of a lot this (with various viewpoints) but I don't hate you that much...

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
First 2 swings by the older girl -- Her hands look static at the start of the swing to me. I see her turning her body first. What am I missing?

this is an example of a beginner learning the pattern, sorry for the confusion I’m not implying she’s doing it perfectly. Please Refer to Richard as the example of the swing pattern.

A work in progress

Mar 28, 2014
I am not agreeing one way or the other, only explaining what his reasoning is for doing what he is doing. Also those are drills for a specific feel. There is "body movement" in real swings before the initial hand/forearm pivot and he doesn't say otherwise.

jtePIiP.gif

Like @FP26 said above, a lot of things appear to happen simultaneously..which makes sense based upon how much time you actually have to hit. In the above you could argue that the hands and hips go (hands go as in start some movement/action, not necessarily towards the ball) almost at the same time. If you can get your hitter to look like that, or similarly, like this

9oKEeE5.gif

regardless of how you do it, you are going to have success.

With regards to arguments for the hand/forearm pivot action, the below clips are often used to demonstrate:

gixJZsS.gif

H3xLLGg.gif

Again, just providing information here...not going to get into any arguments :)

I would suggest you visit the TTB thread(s) on this forum to see a "thorough" discussion of a lot this (with various viewpoints) but I don't hate you that much...
so vid clips of 2 check swings where the batter completely dumps the barrel is what his theory is based on? Crazy world we live in.

I checked out the TTB thread. Damn near dozed off in my chair.

Jun 8, 2016
so vid clips of 2 check swings where the batter completely dumps the barrel is what his theory is based on? Crazy world we live in.
Did I say that? I said people sometimes use those clips as evidence of a hand/forearm pivot. Richard has given a better explanation and I am sure Mike can too. I was just trying to help, I have no dog in the fight....Not sure why I engage you..it always ends up in a pissing match.

Mar 28, 2014
Did I say that? I said people sometimes use those clips as evidence of a hand/forearm pivot. Richard has given a better explanation and I am sure Mike can too. I was just trying to help, I have no dog in the fight....Not sure why I engage you..it always ends up in a pissing match.
dude I'm not responding to you as if you have a dog in the hunt. Just a basic response. Probably shouldn't have quoted you I guess. Chill out. lol.....

May 24, 2013
So Cal

The body doesn't remain motionless until the hands go. The hands trigger "launch", but there is some pre-launch body movement.

Mar 28, 2014
The body doesn't remain motionless until the hands go. The hands trigger "launch", but there is some pre-launch body movement.
I didn't gather that from the video.

At 1:11 he says ""We want to feel like our body doesn't move until this happens (does the hand pivot move) and this (referring to the hand pivot move) causes our body to move"

That is what I am referring to.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"Also those are drills for a specific feel. There is "body movement" in real swings before the initial hand/forearm pivot and he doesn't say otherwise."

So is it real or feel? He kinda says otherwise, too.

Also he says the hitter pivots around hip socket. (one legged) Is that feel or real? Because I have seen quite a few swings of his students turning around their spine and using the front leg too.

He says the hands snap starts the swing and makes everything else happen. If you snap the barrel "all in" to start the swing cant see how you could check your swing.

Jun 8, 2016
Did you guys not watch all of the videos. Again not advocating anything but come on...

If you when you say body movement, you mean the hips opening then it is debatable what actually happens first...I agree with @FP26 above about the thought of the hands triggering the swing. If you do everything else up to that point well, that thought process will more than likely get you pretty damn close...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl