Growth Spurt effects

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
My 10 yo is in the middle of a massive growth spurt. She has grown 3 inches in the last 4 months. She has become really awkward physically. To the point of affecting her mobility and running. It seems to be affecting her game all the way around. Has anyone else had these issues and how did you get through them??. She has lost all confidence in her game. She plays on a competive TB team and she feels like she is letting them down because she can't get her game back...

Jun 24, 2013
DD has never had a growth spurt so I have no advice for you but will try anyways.

Let her grow into her body, it is not her fault she has short term issues that she is figuring out. I can see where it can be frustrating, legs do not work quite right anymore. Emotionally it can be an issue so you need to settle her down.

She is going to be bigger and stronger in the long run.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I had a player back in 12u who was a great all around athlete. She hit a growth spurt and grew 6 inches in about 18 months. Seems like over night she went from stud to dud, her physical movements reminded me of a new born deer. It took her about 2 years after the spurt to get "fully productive" in that new 6'1 frame. ( we'd play against her new team from time to time )

It's no fun waiting for your performance to return after big growth spurts...........BUT don't abandon hope...........this young lady now plays college with my DD..............small world. :)

Jun 24, 2013
It seems like I learn something new everyday about SB, even though in this case it is more just having a young lady growing up.

Last edited:

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
I guess its really easy to forget that we all went through this phase at one time. Patience, perseverance, and learning to adapt and play off new strengths is what I'm beginning to understand. Its been hard for her to understand how she can go from a top level player to struggling to survive in a matter of a season. She is very competitive and strong willed. She puts alot of pressure on herself to perform. All I can do is stay supportive. She has the hard job. Thanks for the support.

moe

Aug 14, 2013
My DD grew 6 inches in a summer. She hurt like hell. I grew 6 inches in a summer. hurt like hell. If you can afford it, get a referral from DR. and get into physical therapy. It took 12 sessions. 2 a week and homework and she was ready to roll. pain gone. For me, if affected my spine, so 6 months for me.

good luck.

May 10, 2010
My dd had one of those spurts. We enrolled her in speed and agility classes for about 6 months. My dd had to retrain her body. Best money we had ever spent in searching for a solution. During that time we still were pitching and hitting. The awkwardness will go away eventually. The bad news was it did not effect my dd's speed, she is still slow.

Jul 26, 2010
Find a track coach. They need to learn how to move all over again. I had a "late bloomer" who grew 6 inches in 6 months at 13 and looked like a baby giraffe trying to dance when she ran. It took some time but she got through it. Many never recover. It takes a lot of work and patience as they basically have to figure out everything all over again.

-W

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dothekindthing