Gone to college, the house is quiet

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
When I was in college we had regular pick up basketball games at our gym. I would go a few nights a week with a guy that I played in High School with and a girl that we both worked with that also played in High School. We loved it because most of the teams were full of frat boys that thought they were studs. My buddy and I had won a state championship in HS and both had offers to play at small schools and the girl had played 4 years of varsity ball and could have played college ball but just didn't have any interest in doing it. It was hilarious watching the frat teams put their worst player on her until she scorched him a few times and then they would rotate. Then we would abuse whoever we felt needed it the most until they would switch again. We could usually make most of the teams start fighting with themselves by the end of the night.

Freshman year intramural Ice hockey is one of my favorite memories. Our goalie couldn't skate and we had him hold our sticks and dragged him from one end of the rink to the other while he kneeled on his pads. I think he even stopped a shot once!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
She tweeted this

Didn't realize how much I missed softball until I saw batting cages at rec fest and my heart started pounding. ��

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
My college had intramural "broomstick polo". As someone who was crazy about horses, I thought my prayers had been answered. I showed up to the barn/arena, thinking it was going to be polo, but with a broomstick in place of a polo mallet (presumably so we novices wouldn't bean the ponies silly). Nope. Nope. Nope. It was polo, but the broomstick part was the horse. We had to run around with a broomstick between our legs. Too bad we were about 20 years early for Harry Potter. Amazingly, broomstick polo was extremely popular, with fierce rivalries between the fraternities. Go figure!

I'm so glad to hear your daughter is happy, China - what great news!!! My daughter wants to go to a big university. I can see her getting there and then playing club. The question that I'm already wishfully pondering is - do I send her to school with her softball stuff or wait for the phone call and shell out the money for Fedex overnight? :)

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My college had intramural "broomstick polo". As someone who was crazy about horses, I thought my prayers had been answered. I showed up to the barn/arena, thinking it was going to be polo, but with a broomstick in place of a polo mallet (presumably so we novices wouldn't bean the ponies silly). Nope. Nope. Nope. It was polo, but the broomstick part was the horse. We had to run around with a broomstick between our legs. Too bad we were about 20 years early for Harry Potter. Amazingly, broomstick polo was extremely popular, with fierce rivalries between the fraternities. Go figure!

I'm so glad to hear your daughter is happy, China - what great news!!! My daughter wants to go to a big university. I can see her getting there and then playing club. The question that I'm already wishfully pondering is - do I send her to school with her softball stuff or wait for the phone call and shell out the money for Fedex overnight? :)

If its far send her there with her glove and cleats, then if she decides she can scrounge up stuff to tryout, and then you can ship the rest normally not next day. My dd has to come home this weekend anyway, so she is going to work out at her old coaches barn and bring her stuff back.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
She called me yesterday. After 2 actual days of class and she is bored. "I'm trying out for the club softball team"

So then she says. Its so expensive, its going to cost me $500 dollars if I make the team, it includes travel, hotels and meals. I just laughed and laughed.

When I reminded her of what her team cost last year not including hotels and food she said "it never bothered me before, you were paying it" And then she laughed and laughed.

If this was my DD I would be tempted to bribe her to attend open tryouts for the school team....I will give you $500 just to try out and another $500 if you make the team....if she made the team as a walk-on and earned a scholarship for her sophomore, junior and senior years, it would be the best $1000 you ever spent!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
If this was my DD I would be tempted to bribe her to attend open tryouts for the school team....I will give you $500 just to try out and another $500 if you make the team....if she made the team as a walk-on and earned a scholarship for her sophomore, junior and senior years, it would be the best $1000 you ever spent!

I paid $700 total this year. I'm good

Jan 27, 2014
I am still almost 3 years away from my first going off to college. What a strange feeling that must be.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13