Frustration with high school ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
It was the coach's "style of motivation".
Context does make a difference tho. It happened to a girl who graduated in 2013, so it's not current. Honestly, she didn't have a weight problem as far as I could tell. Just the usual teenage girl angst about her appearance. The coach is still there, bumbling his way thru. He really does mean well, but he hurt both of my daughters and many others. Unknowingly contributing to the early "retirement" from HS ball by too many kids.

Jun 14, 2016
Update, dd pitched a no hitter yesterday for jv. Coach told her she was much improved and giving her a varsity start tomorrow! She was determined to work harder and prove to him what she could do! I’m proud of her!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
That's great, and the reward shows that the coach really was just trying to motivate her. It may not have been the best way to handle the situation, but I think it's clear he doesn't have anything against your DD, so that's good.

Maybe I'm making too much of it, but rewarding her with the varsity start after she did well in the JV game tells me a lot about him.

He may not be a great coach. Who really knows. But I don't think he's one of those horror-story coaches we hear about so often on DFP.

I have the opposite problem. My dd does great pitching but if she has a bad inning my wife will even say go scream at her to make her mad so she will get focused. Im not mad I dont want to scream at her. There has to be another way. However if I do act mad and tell her she better not walk another batter. She gets serious and doesnt walk another batter. That works for some people so even if it upsets her sit back and watch how it effects her ability to get the job done. Im seriously looking into other motivationional triggers. Right now thats only thing that works.

Apr 28, 2014
I have the opposite problem. My dd does great pitching but if she has a bad inning my wife will even say go scream at her to make her mad so she will get focused. Im not mad I dont want to scream at her. There has to be another way. However if I do act mad and tell her she better not walk another batter. She gets serious and doesnt walk another batter. That works for some people so even if it upsets her sit back and watch how it effects her ability to get the job done. Im seriously looking into other motivationional triggers. Right now thats only thing that works.

Have her write down her goals before each game.. Not "no walks" But if she's been a little walkish maybe 1 walk or 2. Then let her work though it.
It's helps zero for parents to yell at kids. It sometimes works in the moment but long term it's not a strategy.

Thanks I will try that. Im that broke dad cant afford a pitching coach/ I can learn on youtube and teach you how to pitch kind of dad. So far so good open to suggestions thats why Im on this forum.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.

Take the wife and chairs and go sit out in the outfield. Trust me that's the only 'motivational trigger' that your DD would want and need. Don't be that dad/mom that you apparently are now.

panthadad2

fastpitch pops
Jun 27, 2017
Take the wife and chairs and go sit out in the outfield. Trust me that's the only 'motivational trigger' that your DD would want and need. Don't be that dad/mom that you apparently are now.

100% yes. This thread seems to be the place holder for overbearing parents.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez