Front toss - keeping weight back drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I’m a big fan of hitting out of a 45. Here’s Haley‘s warm up routine when hitting off the pitching machine. This is how she gets her timing. This is after tee work and dry swings.

Are you concerned at all that she is coming up and "out of her legs" (not sure I like that phrase but you get the gist) like that before she launches (especially with her normal stance)?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I think if you use the front leg to push more than the back leg, posture won’t be an issue. You want extension to create rotation. Not the other way around.

1694131921662.gif

In order to use the stretches you created you have to maintain them. Watch how the front hip maximizes the anterior stretch while the hands stay back. That only happens bc the front leg pushes it backwards via extension or GRF 😑. Then rotation of the front hip happens.. a brake so to speak I guess. I see it as extension but whatever. Same goes for shoulder ‘tilt’. You know where I stand 😆.suppose to be ‘punny’ lol.

1694133030115.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: TDS
Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man

This drill will help! Lunging is the result of many things. This drill will help the feeling of “staying back”. Get proficient doing it on tees. Then go to side toss, then front toss. Think “launch backwards”

Lordy, is he lost. As with almost every drill, this will create a new flaw.

Dec 1, 2021
Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to imagine this and having trouble with it. Won't the very bent front leg reinforce her already issue with collapsing the front leg on her swing?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Dec 1, 2021
Thanks. I don't like to post videos of my kids (I'm weird like that). She has a classic "flaw" (in quotes because she is 11 and obviously still learning) in her swing of her front leg/knee collapsing (call it lunging, not keeping her weight back, weak front side, etc). Results in a lot of weak contact.

Found the front post leg drill online today that we might try to emphasize that front leg staying strong, pushing the ground.

We already do a pitching lesson weekly so no room in the schedule (or bank account) for a hitting lesson too.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Thanks. I don't like to post videos of my kids (I'm weird like that). She has a classic "flaw" (in quotes because she is 11 and obviously still learning) in her swing of her front leg/knee collapsing (call it lunging, not keeping her weight back, weak front side, etc). Results in a lot of weak contact.

Found the front post leg drill online today that we might try to emphasize that front leg staying strong, pushing the ground.

We already do a pitching lesson weekly so no room in the schedule (or bank account) for a hitting lesson too.

Can you post that drill you found online? Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles