14U Swing Thoughts/Suggestions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2021
My DD is 14 and tends to ground out more than we would like. When she squares it up, she puts it at or over the fence, but we are trying to up the consistency of that. I'll try to get a video from front toss, but here is off the tee to start. Please let me know your thoughts for improvement and any drills to assist. Thank you in advance!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
From that angle I can see that she arm bars which probably means that she has the top hand elbow leading and is dragging the bat, although the bat head doesn't seem to be in too bad a position. A view from the front side would give a different perspective.

Aug 20, 2017
This PVC drill will help. Notice the relationship between the hands, front elbow, and bat angle when he contacts the bag. Compare that to your DD. Hands are leveling to the ball. Think “launch rearwards”. Try to get shoulder angles and bat angles to match at contact. Elbow slots a little early. Would like to see the upper coil some more during her stride.

Oct 26, 2019
A live swing would be helpful. Does she set up like this against live pitching? Or is this just her tee swing? When hitters get this posted on their back leg there really is only 2 options. They either “get stuck” back there (usually that happens against faster pitching) or they lunge out front which makes for a lot of head movement.

Attachments

• 589258CB-01DF-4D7D-BFB4-2F0309DDD1C8.jpeg
    589258CB-01DF-4D7D-BFB4-2F0309DDD1C8.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
This PVC drill will help. Notice the relationship between the hands, front elbow, and bat angle when he contacts the bag. Compare that to your DD. Hands are leveling to the ball. Think “launch rearwards”. Try to get shoulder angles and bat angles to match at contact. Elbow slots a little early. Would like to see the upper coil some more during her stride.

This dude is horrible. No offense.

Jul 16, 2021
Thank you for the feedback, guys. I will try to get some clips from the front soon. Appreciate the responses so far.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The main issue I see is scap pinch and back utilization. The arms are used to try to move the barrel, slotting back elbow, with a delay of turning the handle/barrel.

I can see why consistency is an issue.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Thank you for the feedback, guys. I will try to get some clips from the front soon. Appreciate the responses so far.

Some clips from the side would be helpful. Start by fixing/adjusting her set up/ move out. (make sure she understands why she should change it. Towney9 explains it nicely).
Notice how her front leg never straightens. I would work on that next.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478