Front toss - keeping weight back drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 1, 2021
Working with my 11y/o on keeping her weight back and stop lunging. She's getting it on tee work and soft toss but any good drills or ideas for front toss? Couldn't find anything online.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Aug 20, 2017

This drill will help! Lunging is the result of many things. This drill will help the feeling of “staying back”. Get proficient doing it on tees. Then go to side toss, then front toss. Think “launch backwards”

Aug 20, 2017
A few things to watch for when hitting out of 90s and 45s
- coil (back butt check to pitcher) make sure she feels like her rear leg is loaded
- stretch the upper, don’t counter rotate shoulders, don’t get hands stuck behind her, stretch like a Ferris wheel, front should down, probably need to use the neck slot
- first few I would give her the “go” command, tell her to burst
- try to work on tilting and not rotating shoulders (takes time), launch backwards is a good feel for tilt
- make sure 99% of the weight is on her rear leg, should be the same when she finishes swing, don’t let her shift weight to other leg (she’s going to on the first few if that’s her current pattern)
- keep her head behind the ball, if she rotates shoulders the head will come up and left quickly, she needs to finish with her head behind the ball
- focus on getting palm up/palm down as quickly as possible, don’t want to push the hands/knob forward
- once you get to front toss it will go hay wire, she will want to launch forward and hit it out front, of she does drill correctly she will launch much quicker, will need to learn to let the ball travel, think hit it off the rear leg

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
I’m a big fan of hitting out of a 45. Here’s Haley‘s warm up routine when hitting off the pitching machine. This is how she gets her timing. This is after tee work and dry swings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles