Free Hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Think of Griffey Jr. imagine if they told him he couldn’t extend his lead arm and get the slack out before launch.basically another way to load the upper body and lead shoulder earlier.. Think he would still be Jr.? I don’t.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
IMO, this is a flawed diagram of bat drag. I agree in the definition of 'hands behind elbow', but i don't think that is the case. The camera angle is deceiving. I think the definition of bat drag should be 'elbow in front of the horizontal line between hands and shoulder'. If you were to drop a plum bob from a string tied between hands and shoulder, the elbow would not be in front of it.

IMO this swing has a wide radius but not bat drag. Flattened front arm, and rear elbow farther away from body, but not dragging. Again, my opinion. I think this swing is more of the swing that Bobby Shirer would like.

On an outside pitch, w a connected swing, the swing will have a longer radius. But a deeper contact point. The opposite should be true for an inside pitch. A narrower radius w a shallower contact point. The swing itself is short and direct. the location was adjusted to. No cast or dump w early acceleration and good direction. that’s what an efficient bat path is.

Bobby and I don’t share the same views. He likes rotation to power the swing ground up. I like the core to power the swing middle out. Rotation is a result. Much much different.

Jun 3, 2021
To me it comes down to the fact that every hitter listens different and has drills that wake up their swing different. There is no one way to teach. We have to teach on every different case. It’s individuals and not math. As a coach we have to be mindful of that. Just me and I’ve been a guy that has hit balls a long way.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Free hands seeking a hand pivot to square up the ball. As well as great balanced sagittal/frontal plane movements.

8C7K70V.gif

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
@fanboi22 and @efastball For me ‘drag’ is the body turning and the bat not moving. Has nothing to do w an elbow position. In fact that elbow position is necessary to get on top and do the pro chop and create a short swing. but that’s another story. Which this young lady already has.

View attachment 22395
IMO drag is more elbow slot without bat moving. I think we both agree that something is out of sequence. I just don't think the stretch is the cure all for bat drag. For me, it is more what Shawn said, arms instead of hands. Someone like my DD needs to feel herself using her hands, instead she tries to find power in the arms. Even if she has a good stretch, it doesn't eliminate her want to use the arms. I agree with some level of 'free hands' but i also believe them to be 'active' in that they can't wait to be pulled.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
On an outside pitch, w a connected swing, the swing will have a longer radius. But a deeper contact point. The opposite should be true for an inside pitch. A narrower radius w a shallower contact point. The swing itself is short and direct. the location was adjusted to. No cast or dump w early acceleration and good direction. that’s what an efficient bat path is.

Bobby and I don’t share the same views. He likes rotation to power the swing ground up. I like the core to power the swing middle out. Rotation is a result. Much much different.
I was agreeing with you in my statement that the swing you showed of your hitter did not have a problem. I also agree on an outside pitch what you describe will happen. All i was mentioning about Bobby was his favoring a longer front arm and longer radius swing. I am not saying they are the same swings, probably should not have made that comparison. My apologies.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
IMO drag is more elbow slot without bat moving. I think we both agree that something is out of sequence. I just don't think the stretch is the cure all for bat drag. For me, it is more what Shawn said, arms instead of hands. Someone like my DD needs to feel herself using her hands, instead she tries to find power in the arms. Even if she has a good stretch, it doesn't eliminate her want to use the arms. I agree with some level of 'free hands' but i also believe them to be 'active' in that they can't wait to be pulled.

arm driven is usually bc the hitter has leaked the frontside open. That’s drag. Creating stretch in both directions is key. That’s how depth is created. The ‘free’ hands will then be able to adjust. It’s a fine and delicate balance. Swaying or staying back will need to be addressed before free hands can be installed.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
To me it comes down to the fact that every hitter listens different and has drills that wake up their swing different. There is no one way to teach. We have to teach on every different case. It’s individuals and not math. As a coach we have to be mindful of that. Just me and I’ve been a guy that has hit balls a long way.
I only have one hitter that i am concerned with, my DD. And i am trying to identify the results so that i can find the cause of the flaw in the result. Bat drag to me is more arms overpowering hands, hands not keeping up, core turning before barrel, which means hands are not keeping up. So the only math i am trying to use is where body parts are located to try and isolate the cause of her issues. I agree with letting the hitter use their athleticism, not trying to turn a .400 hitter into a .200 hitter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck