Free Hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Load takes the hands to a consistent spot.

Tilt (or no tilt in the case of a high pitch) helps them deliver the barrel to the right spot.

There are always some pull-in/let-out hand adjustments during the swing, particularly for off-speed or movement pitches, but the utility and requirement of tilt is very evident here.
I agree with you and TDS... hands are free, but setting and maintaining good posture as per pitch location will help deliver and support the hands on the right plane. Hitters do get fooled though, and those swings tend to rely on the hands more.

just my two cents

Jun 3, 2021
My opinion is that you need to develop a solid old school fundamental swing. That is a starting point and foundation to build from. So much that is out there is teaching off an already fundamental swing. I’m a 12u coach. Older is obviously different.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
lol, 99% of kids posted everywhere have bat drag (hands behind the elbow). So, it's the first thing that should be fixed. Yet 99% of these threads are about something else. Time is the greatest enemy for all of these hitters.

View attachment 22372
IMO, this is a flawed diagram of bat drag. I agree in the definition of 'hands behind elbow', but i don't think that is the case. The camera angle is deceiving. I think the definition of bat drag should be 'elbow in front of the horizontal line between hands and shoulder'. If you were to drop a plum bob from a string tied between hands and shoulder, the elbow would not be in front of it.

IMO this swing has a wide radius but not bat drag. Flattened front arm, and rear elbow farther away from body, but not dragging. Again, my opinion. I think this swing is more of the swing that Bobby Shirer would like.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
She is using the arms instead of the hands. Bat drag is the result and not the cause.

As W=W mentioned he is his encouraging the problem by teaching the hands move back which then stabilizes the back leg and then they continue to move back.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
@fanboi22 and @efastball For me ‘drag’ is the body turning and the bat not moving. Has nothing to do w an elbow position. In fact that elbow position is necessary to get on top and do the pro chop and create a short swing. but that’s another story. Which this young lady already has.

1623126927142.gif

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
She is using the arms instead of the hands. Bat drag is the result and not the cause.

As W=W mentioned he is his encouraging the problem by teaching the hands move back which then stabilizes the back leg and then they continue to move back.

there was never a problem. she actually was having issues w adjustability. she was a one pitch hitter. one at a time. By learning to stretch her core to get forward, and create swing depth, she can make adjustments to get the foot down early or delay like she is showing and still stay through the ball. Look at the before and after. W/O the core stretchEd from both sides, she would rollover and pull balls foul when adjusting to inside. basically spinning and rushing. notice the acceleration of the barrel is deeper and quicker now.

Can it be over done? Sure. Like anything else in the swing right? Balance the stretch and monitoring that balanced stretch is the key to having a dynamic swing. it may come in different forms like a more lower half forward stretch, or like this young lady a more upper-body-back stretch. It’s not a system. it’s what the hitter needs. Mobility and the ROM of each hitters stretch comes into play and must be considered.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32