Free 1 base or 2 bases... not sure if such ruling exist

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2010
Somewhere in Malaysia
Is there any such ruling that if any infield fielder over thrown the ball into dead ball area the runner on the base will be awarded one free base.... and two bases will be awarded to the runner on the base if it is thrown by any outfield fielder?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think it is always 2 bases regardless of how the ball ends up in the dead ball area. (I have not been right on a rule yet though)

If the ball ends up in a dead ball area before the runner reaches 1st, they would end up on 2nd.

Oct 31, 2010
I don't have a rulebook in hand for wording but I believe they are awarded the base they are advancing to, plus the next, like quincy said.

Jun 22, 2008
Doesnt matter who throws the ball, a ball thrown out of play is 2 bases from the last base legally touched at the time the throw was released.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It looks like what you are referring to is a MLB rule, it does make a distinction for when an infielder makes the initial play.

Mar 13, 2010
The rule as I understand it, regardless of who throws it, is the runner gets the base they are advancing to, plus the next one. The base they are advancing to is at the time of the throw, which can always cause much drama!

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
The rule as I understand it has always been one from the mound and two from the field. So if it goes out of play on a pitched ball they only get the base they are going to. From anywhere in the field they get the one they are going to plus an additional base.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Sounds like a lot of folks are mixing in different baseball rules- and a couple of rule myths- to come up with something that doesn't resemble the softball rules! :rolleyes:

My first question would be...What rule set are you using? This could affect the answer.

While most versions of softball (ASA, high school, college) award two bases on a ball thrown out of play (from the runner's position when the ball left the fielder's hand, regardless of the direction the runner is heading) and make no distinction between a throw from the infield or outfield, there are those rule sets that do it differently.

If I remember, Zul77 is involved with softball somewhere overseas and their rule might be a little different!

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Situation today... before game starts our coach explains the ground rules to the umps and the other team. Our fence is not complete down right field and left field. There is a line painted to show where foul territory begins and another line painted several feet off to show where out of bounds is. If ball gets out of bounds, coach has told us that it is a ground rule double. This was said at plate meeting. Girl comes up to bat. Hits ball down left field line. It bounces off of our left fielder out of bounds. Runner is headed to second when this happens. Ump calls dead ball, runner goes to second. Opposing team protests and umps send runner to third. Our coach, naturally, protests back but call stands.

What should have happened?

Mar 13, 2010
She should have got 2nd. It's a pooey rule (I play without a fence all the time) but it's the rule.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06