Foul Tip Into Catcher's Glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2010
Had this happen yesterday. Foul tip into catcher's glove. She didn't drop the ball. Initially the ump didn't make a call, then after protest by one of our coaches called it an out. Was blue correct? Can't remember if it was 1st, 2nd, or 3rd strike. One of our other coaches wasn't sure, neither was I.

Thanx--

Last edited:

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Whether it was third strike or not makes a huge difference in the answer. If it was a foul tip into the catcher's glove on strike one or two, the batter is not out and the ball is live. Runners are able to advance with liability to be put out. If it was strike three, the batter is out.

Jun 21, 2010
Thanx Ken. I was once asked this question about a foul tip and didn't realize there is difference between a "tip" and "ball". I just thought a foul was a foul and if caught it was an out. I'll have to look at the book to see what strike this happened on.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
As Ken said, the other thing to remember is that any foul tip caught by the catcher is a live ball (regardless of the number of strikes on the batter). Many in rec league do not realize that.

Jun 21, 2010
As Ken said, the other thing to remember is that any foul tip caught by the catcher is a live ball (regardless of the number of strikes on the batter). Many in rec league do not realize that.

I'll let my catchers know that. Always learning.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
“Foul Tip: A batted ball that goes directly from the bat, not higher than the batter’s head, to the catcher’s hand(s) of glove and is legally caught by the catcher”

More or less a foul tip is a strike, like it never hit the bat as stated in above posts. If the C misses the ball, it becomes a foul ball and not a foul tip.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
“Foul Tip: A batted ball that goes directly from the bat, not higher than the batter’s head, to the catcher’s hand(s) of glove and is legally caught by the catcher”

More or less a foul tip is a strike, like it never hit the bat as stated in above posts. If the C misses the ball, it becomes a foul ball and not a foul tip.

Where does the not higher then the batters head come from? As far as I know the rules don't indicate a specific height a ball has to reach in order for it to become a foul ball. A tip is one that goes directly from the bat to the glove, everything else is a foul ball.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I found this change on the Internet, listed for ASA 2006.

Comment: Deleted are the words “not higher than the batter’s head”. With the change in foul tip we will judge foul ball regardless of height.

Rule 1 – Foul Tip: A batted ball that goes sharply and directly from the bat to the catchers hand(s) or glove / mitt.

Jun 22, 2010
ASA took out that "not higher than . . ." language in 2006 or so because it was confusing people. What they meant was, "if it's over the batter's head, it can't be a foul tip." But people took it to mean, "if it's NOT over the batter's head, it IS a foul tip." Which is not what was intended, so they took it out.

So: Sharply and directly to catcher's mitt, and caught = foul tip, strike, live ball. Not sharply, not directly, or not caught = foul.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1