flat footed in the crouch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2009
When in the crouch should the your be on the balls of your feet or flat footed?
I have always heard balls of your feet but this past weekend I heard you should be flat footed. The flat footed comment came from an assistant coach at UMASS and watched as the UMASS catcher caught Branice Balschmiter flat footed.
What would be the reasoning for this? I missed the beginning of the discussion.

May 5, 2008
Very interesting thoughts on the flat footed vs toes in that article. Unfortunately I can't try it for myself to feel it right now, but will certain have too.

Have you tried it? How does it feel?

Have you had your catchers try it? What do they think?

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
http://www.catchingcamp.com/
In his DVD, Dave teaches the flat-footed crouch. This seemed odd to me, but I tried it when catching my DD. As an old fart, I can tell you the flat footed crouch wound up working better for me. Seems like less stress on the joints but I'm sure there is a better reason for it.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2009
Definitely flat footed. You're not stable on the balls of your feet. It's a stability issue, and I believe you were told correctly.

The article had some good points, and some things I disagree with. Thanks for posting it.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
We instruct our catchers to receive the ball flat footed (Not back on heels) and square to the plate. The only time a catcher should be on their toes will be when giving pitching signs. The thinking here is to maintain a neutrally-balanced stance. If the catcher is receiving the ball on his/her toes, they have committed their body to forward movement. Should the catcher have to go back, to the side or even drop to block... They have to compensate for already having their body forward on their toes. To illustrate, try to bat a ball on your toes. Another way to look at it is compare the foot being in full contact with the ground and "neutrally-balanced" to your car. (Yes your car) If you are not sure what direction you will need to know and want to be equally prepared to go forward or reverse in your car, you would have the gear selector in.... neutral. It is the same thinking for the catching stance. The neutrally balanced stance allows the catcher to be equally prepared to receive, block, throw, and more!

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Don't buy it. Don't believe there can be a standard mechanic for this. One way doesn't work for everyone. Catchers come in all shapes and sizes and they don't all have the same abilities to maintain their balance. I know people who spend their life on the balls of their feet whether participating in an athletic endeavor, walking down the street or just standing around drinking a cup of coffee. OTOH, I know people (brother, for one) who loses their balance the moment they try to raise up on the balls of their feet.

You can teach the player how to adjust to take advantage of their strengths and off-set their weaknesses.

Jan 28, 2010
Flat Footed Here

I agree with the stance that Dave Weaver teaches. There are some things I don't see eye to eye with him but I'm in complete agreement about his stance philosophy. My daughter went to it and it's improved her catching quite a bit. I feel the cathcer's position is a athletic one, not just a "lump" behind home plate. If you're on the balls of your feet it makes it difficult to perform all of the moves needed to be a effective catcher. That's just my .02.

R

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish