fireballer

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 26, 2010
My daughter just played her first rep squirt (12U) tourny and lost in the finals to a team with a pitcher that threw around 50 mph. Not many of the girls could get around on her so alot of girls were bunting. their defense was very good on the bunts since I bet alot of other teams were bunting. Any other suggestions to compete against a team with a fireballer? Any techniques to hit a 50mph pitch?
thanks

May 18, 2009
Speed the pitching machine up to practice at higher speeds or have the girls start at the plate and move a step forward every time they hit off the pitching machine. Make it a little contest. Girls have fun with the drill.

Dec 10, 2008
Face better pitching more often. Around here (Chicago land) that's normal speed for 12U asa pitchers.

Nov 17, 2010
Agree with sluggers. A compact swing does wonders.

What we see with faster pitchers is that the girls are waiting too see if it's a strike and then swinging. That works OK with slower pitches, but when it's up in the 50s, they can't catch up to them. Teach your hitters to start their swing early (on every pitch!), slower, then go to contact and finish fast if it's in the strike zone. A cue we use is "slow to fast".

Also, they must "think strike" on every pitch then stop their swing if it's a outside the zone.

-D

Mar 11, 2009
I also agree with compact swing(no casting and shorten it up), nno reloading either. Incorporate batting with pitches from 48-53mphinto practices(normal speeds around here for club ball).

Oct 31, 2010
Also check the bat sizes, make sure they aren't swinging stuff that's too long or too heavy. I know an 11yo that swings a 26oz....but that's for another discussion...

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Teach your hitters to start their swing early (on every pitch!), slower, then go to contact and finish fast if it's in the strike zone. A cue we use is "slow to fast".

If you have time to do anything slowly, then why not wait slightly longer and do everything fast?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC