Field conditions - is this normal?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2015
My daughter's HS team has been complaining for 2 years about rocks on the field and the AD says it's normal and even if they picked up rocks everyday more would just show up. DD says other schools and travel fields don't have rocks - any idea why we do? Also the field is so dusty. The AD says the sprinkler works but on windy days we get this: Are these normal field conditions? I don't recall seeing this anywhere else she's played.

I'll be third or fourth to say it needs some type of conditioner and/or turface added to what is most likely the very cheapest grade of dirt they could buy. Drag, rake with a leaf rake to gather and pick up rocks, drag, pick up rocks, repeat until there aren't many rocks to pick up then roll it, water it and drag lightly.

Jun 8, 2016
The worst field conditions are late in the day on the Sunday of a tournament when it has been 90+ all weekend..hard and bumpy. Better off playing in a parking lot full of potholes..

Oct 26, 2019
The check the baseball field is the correct answer. Whether it's normal or not is immaterial. Is it equal between the boys and girls fields, and therefore in compliance with Title IX? If so, not much you can make the school do, it would be incumbent upon coaches, players, and parents. If not, just mention a Title IX investigation at the next school board meeting regarding the situation and see how fast it gets fixed.
If the baseball field is better it doesn’t mean it’s a title IX violation. Coaches at most high schools do 99% of their own field work. It could just mean that the baseball coach cares more about his field than the softball coach.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
If the baseball field is better it doesn’t mean it’s a title IX violation. Coaches at most high schools do 99% of their own field work. It could just mean that the baseball coach cares more about his field than the softball coach.

100% correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 22, 2011

True.... but I know a High School softball coach who had to buy her own drag. Two years ago I bought 5 bags of turface and donated two stirrup hoes to get rid of the weeds that grow over the winter.

We have a turf outfield that I donated some money towards and kept the dirt infield. I know we got the turf outfield to provide space more for Middle School flag football and soccer practice than for softball. They wanted 100pct artificial turf, but I resisted that.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
When I resigned my HC position of our baseball team to watch my dd play in HS, the first thing she asked was if that meant that she didn't have to help me every weekend work on the field. LOL

May 1, 2018
Nothing some dad and beer can't handle.... they drag the field, drink the beer....then water the field.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
We're fortunate. The HS softball coach here is absolutely OCD about his field. He and the AC do all of the work. The players are not allowed to walk on the infield dirt until warmups and he will go out with a rake to touch up post warmups. During tournaments the field gets a drag and re-chalked between each game. They do have whatever compound it is that helps it dry faster.

But, we have played on city fields that have plenty of rocks, dirt/dust, and are hard as playing in the parking lot. One facility isn't allowed to break out the water hoses. The city put locks on everything so they can't water during tournaments. Windy days there aren't very fun.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I'm sure there are fields where people spend a lot of money to make sure that wind doesn't blow dust around, but that's certainly not the norm (for softball or baseball). This field seems fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes