Favorite Sports Movie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
The sports movie that had the weirdest effect on me was The Search for Bobby Fischer.

I went to grad school next to Washington Square Park, where the movie was filmed. I knew a lot of the extras and a few of the chess players who had minor roles. That was the good part of it.

The character Lawrence Fishburne played, Vinny Livermore, was nothing like the way Fishburne played him. Makes sense, since nobody would watch the movie otherwise. The real Vinny Livermore was about the worst piece of human excrement I ever met in my life. Very different personality. While Fishburne swaggered, the real Livermore swished. The real Vinny Livermore thought I was going to punch him out once, when he tried to get me to make drugs for him. The real Vinny Livermore was a drug dealing welfare cheat, a pedophile with AIDS. The story I heard was when he finally died, people stood up and cheered at a local chess shop upon hearing the news. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

There was one scene in the movie where I had to restrain myself from shouting out. The young child prodigy is in his bedroom, which has a bunk bed, with his parents. The kid asks if Vinny is homeless, and could he stay in the top bunk. Not unless the kid wanted AIDS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Farmboydrose