Fastpitch hitters

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
What do you mean by formative?
Lets just say before they have to start using wood and hitting in parks with 400 ft fences? Not saying you are wrong..having to use their bodies more efficiently is a good reason for the cream of the crop to have better overall swings in MLB...just not sure that is necessarily something that is required at the younger ages when they are learning to hit.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Lets just say before they have to start using wood and hitting in parks with 400 ft fences?
Ah gotcha, I was thinking about it from fastpitch perspective. IMO it depends on the instructor and level of ball they are playing at that time. If an instructor knows what it takes to have a big league swing, then they are likely to "try" instill that in a kid's swing. If it's a coach just volunteering to help out with no ball experience, then they are likely going to teach a kid just to make contact. But for most who move on to play competitively, at some point in the journey they will have to adapt a ML level swing.

What would be really cool is comparing a college player's swing taught by a MLB coach vs one taught by a softball coach, might provide some insight. But of course there are just too variables and assumptions.

Jun 8, 2016
If it's a coach just volunteering to help out with no ball experience, then they are likely going to teach a kid just to make contact.
One thing I have noticed with boys vs girls, is that most boys are not too interested in just making contact regardless of what anybody tells them 🤣

May 12, 2016
I can relate a little ...

My oldest DD started house league when she was 13. She had a coach who had been around ball is whole life. He taught the kids how pitch properly. They walked so many runs in, hardly won a game in the first 3/4's of the season. Other coaches were teaching kids just to lob it in there for strikes. DD's team started pitching strikes by end of the season, their pitch was so much better then any other house league team and they crushed other teams in the year end tournament. They benefited from a good coach who was willing to lose in order to develop them properly

May 12, 2016
I guess what I'm trying to say is experience can dictate what kind of swing you need to be successful at the level you are playing, I believe you can get away with many more swing deficiencies in fastpitch because of the equipment and insanely short yard vs baseball with wooden bats and 400 ft fences. At some point the swing that gave you success in little league(composite bats, short yard) may not be good enough for the bigs, while in fastpitch you keep playing on 200ft fields with the same equipment

Jun 8, 2016
I guess we’re even then. 😂 good talk.
Yeah..but I never help so that should be expected. Dead serious about not having a clue about what you are talking about regarding a fence..Ask me a question and I will answer it and maybe I can get down from my proverbial fence..

It should have been obvious I was just kidding around with regards to the bat drag comment..unless of course you are advocating for a giant asteroid hitting the earth..

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Yeah..but I never help so that should be expected. Dead serious about not having a clue about what you are talking about regarding a fence..Ask me a question and I will answer it and maybe I can get down from my proverbial fence..

then it will continue to hurt I guess. Don’t worry about it. Just turn on your sarcasm meter again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan