Fall Sports Options - Golf or XC?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I'd love to hear any input from those of you who have been through this before. Thanks!

I have no idea what your DD's aspirations are for her softball career, but if she enjoys golf and can shoot in the 80's there are an abundance of scholarship opportunities available!!!!

Feb 12, 2014
The best sport is a sport which is FUN!

That being said, how tall is your DD? The girl who was first-string all-conference at 1B got a rowing scholarship to Wisconsin. Rowing goes all year round, but that girl would only row in the fall, and work out with the rowers in the winter, but would play softball in spring and summer. However, she is 6' tall and was one of the top HS rowers in the country by her senior year. Women's rowing is the easiest sport to get a scholarship in, though.

Bob - She is very tall. At 10, she's close to 5'7". Doc says she'll likely be at least 6' and maybe as tall as 6'2". Not many rowing teams in my rural area of SE Ohio though! :)

Feb 12, 2014
Golf. She has a better chance to get a scholarship in golf than softball.

My guess is her chance for a scholarship in either is pretty close to zero based on the athletic gene pool she's swimming in. That really doesn't factor too much into the decision. The good news for us (sometimes) is that she's wicked smart. It's a challenge some days, though.

Mar 21, 2013
My guess is her chance for a scholarship in either is pretty close to zero based on the athletic gene pool she's swimming in. That really doesn't factor too much into the decision. The good news for us (sometimes) is that she's wicked smart. It's a challenge some days, though.

Don't sell her too short. Golf isn't called the great equalizer for nothing. Look at a lot of the swings on the tour today and you might ask yourself how in the heck they can hit the ball. However, a lot of golfers have something in common, they are pretty smart. Golf is definitely a thinking mans (persons) game.

Ditto on the scholarship info rowing and golf.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Is scholarship potential a logical and valid reason for a 7th grader to pick a school season of golf over XC?

I mean, the pursuit of a golf scholarship will cost more than it would pay off financially. Golf is not cheap for those trying to get really good at it. So the only logical reason to choose golf in this scenario, IMO, is the desire to play golf. That is, the fun of it.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
That is 100% correct. The only reason to play a sport is if it is fun. To spend hours every day on a sport that is not fun can be pure Hades.

DW and I spent thousands every year to have DS compete in a top-notch rowing club when he was in HS. This involved travel to eastern Tennessee, St. Louis, Chicago, Columbus, Cincinnati and Duluth among other places. Men's rowing is not a scholarship sport. In order for DS to continue rowing in college, he wound up going to a private engineering school in Milwaukee that is more expensive than the UW Milwaukee campus a few miles away. But, he loves rowing and his grades improved in HS after he started rowing, and he will probably row as a hobby long after he graduates college. In all, a good investment.

OTOH, some coaches thought that DD #1 had the potential to be a D1 softball player. (She didn't play long enough to be sure, and she started late. But, she went from being a 12U rec league player in the fall of 2011 to a 16U TB player in the fall of 2012). At one point softball stopped being fun, so she quit. However, if she can get admitted to UW Madison, she will have a full academic scholarship to cover tuition and fees.

Possible scholarships are NOT the main reason to choose a sport, but they can play a factor. One local girl got no scholarship offers for softball, but got a scholarship to Wisconsin for rowing. She loves both sports, but guess which one she is doing in college?

Interestingly, one does not actually have to row in order to get a rowing scholarship. There is a simulated rowing machine, which the rowers call an 'erg'. Not long ago, a local girl who had NEVER rowed went to a winter camp at Wisconsin, learned how to erg, and did well enough she was offered a rowing scholarship on the spot. Since OP's DD may well grow up to be 6' or so, if she could erg a simulated 2 km in under 7 minutes, big name D1 schools would offer her a scholarship even if she had never been in the water. Not many girls can pull that off, though.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
either would be good as long as she enjoys it. I was surprised to see how much camaraderie there is on our HS XC team. I assumed it was just a bunch of kids who ran and what ever the time was that was it. But they really seem to work at being a team, the kids I know who did it loved it. But you also have to love running.

Golf is a great game. I have played it since I was 13 years old. My son and I both have worked on golf courses. Me as a caddy in my teen years and my son on the grounds crew for the past 4 summers. A golf course can be a great place to spend you time. Plus you play it forever.

I am sure your dd will pick from the heart and go with the one that seems to be the most fun for her. And thats as it should be.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Although very different either sport is a great complement to softball. Golf very much resembles the mental and mechanical aspects of softball. Where XC is all about conditioning and mental toughness. Successful participation in either one would catch a college coaches attention. DD is a Sophomore pitcher in college majoring in business. She already knows that golf will be in her future! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom