Extension

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
ConnectionGif.gif

The above 3D illustration provides a good visual of what is happening in terms of the bat and body changes during the swing. What is very noticeable is the increased lateral torso flexion after the launch phase of the swing. So while the forward bend ‘converts’ to side bend, there is additional shoulder tilt between EC and contact that increases rapidly.

Ummm,

Unfortunately they can’t trace what’s moving what internally. Force proceeds motion 100% of the time. I can tell you that the feel is trying to stand through the spine as the front foot gets down, not before. This is a great illustration of it imo.

1682015809139.gif

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

This guys sees it. It’s the effort to launch. See how the legs come together? See how the pelvis goes up? Rotation is the result after torque and extension.

So are you saying he is performing a lifting pattern?

What is his power like? Is he early bird high average high base hits like a young Altuve? I don’t think Altuve is the leader in basehits anymore or average.

Looks like a push on that swing.

Ok not bad power.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020
Looks just like a swing… 🤔 Is this the same as arching the lower back?

I'm not sure what ww means by it, but to the rest of the world simply yes. It's the the spine itself(from above the pelvis) bending forward or backwards. Can happen lumbar, thoracic and cervical spine.

I don't think anyone really thinks that it plays any major role in the swing unless they are confusing terms.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
If I said to stay tall or stay behind the ball it would be the same result usually. Functionality matters. The truth of the matter is the stretch will only activate against a resisting spine or head. You could have a core contraction out front but that would be late wo any depth, so what’s the point?

The spine or head works back against the swing. That creates side bend and an on time core contraction. Extension then rotation.

1682382818319.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207