Erin Front view

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio
worked a little this afternoon and her glove side, here is a screen shot from the video. Looking better?

JMHO, but I think she is a better position here than in the first vid. Shoulder plane and position over the powerline at release is better. The toe of the stride foot is just touching the powerline instead of landing on top of it. She has created space at her hips to pitch through which IMO makes it so much easier to throw the ball where you intend. Bwalk63, the one area I would look at is her arm position at toe touch and heel plant. It's looks early to me. She may want to try getting her arm further along in the circle when she gets to toe touch, instead of noon at toe touch get her to 10 o'clock then at heel plant she will be at 9 or even 8. That may help her use the momentum more efficiently that she generates in her stride.

Jul 12, 2008
Tuscola, IL
thanks for the feedback, we just did a quick couple of drills to try and get the ball shoulder down and not to slap her glove, and to get her body leaning to her right. This was what was mentioned in the video I posted so we worked on it. we realize there are many things that need work and she has come a long way in fixing them. As far as the arm, she seems to be at about 11 at toe touch and 10 at heel plant, it is easier to see from the side view I posted, but we are working on that also. Thanks for all the constructive criticism, it is very helpful.

Jul 14, 2008
My opinion?.......

The kid looks pretty damn good......Sure, a few stride issues like the inside/out move of her front leg.......But that can be fixed with a little work.......If it even needs to be fixed......

Regarding the glove slap.........I wouldn't have it any other way......infact.....it's really good.....

Pitchers use the opposite arm to time and balance the system.......

Our mind likes balance and synergy......

The harder the lead arm comes down.....the harder the throwing arm comes down........when contact with the lead leg happens......it sends a signal that release time is here!

Picture a bird flapping ONE wing down as it trys to stay in the air......while the other tucks....or just hangs around at the waist..........

ALL my pitchers slap to some degree........

Oct 22, 2009
I'm impressed that you've made so much progress on tweaking some of her issues, in so little time and also her willingness to work on improving them.

You two obvious work real well together.:)

Jul 12, 2008
Tuscola, IL
Thanks JoJo and Boardmember. she does work hard and the tips that everyone gave have been a great help. B.M. it is funny I never thought her bringing the glove side down hard was a problem, other than her flying out, but in just a few days she has improved on that 100%. Now I will say that yesterday when she didn't slam her glove side down she got her throwing shoulder in a lower position with out too much effort, maybe she can find a happy medium. As I said before all of the advice here has helped her progress much quicker than I thought she ever could. In the next few days I am going to put together some still from the video I posted in Aug and compare them to this past weekend, the improvements are amazing and it is all do to the wealth of knowledge that is here, kudos to all. She has a long way to go I know, but her drop is dropping more and she is more accurate with her change and she is even starting to get the proper spin on her rise(sometimes). One more thing B.M. how do you see her timing on toe touch? Should she be further along with her ball arm than she is. The reason I ask is that I found an Article I had from 2003 written by Hal Skinner and he thinks at toe touch the arm should just be starting into the downswing ( or about 1:00, which to the way I think 11:00) just curious what your thought are. Thanks.

Jul 14, 2008
I don't really use the "toe-touch" reference so much for pitching......

Heal plant is where energy is transmitted/transformed.......

At heal plant I like the arm between 9:00 and 10:00.......or 3:00 and 2:00 depending on clock preference.

She is at the top of that "buffer zone"......I'd like to see her closer to 9:00/3:00.......at heal plant......But that will come as she increases force output and matures IMO.......So....for now it's fine IMO.....

FYI....I don't buy the "glove slap" = "fly open" deal.......If taught correctly.....

There an amount of shoulder rotation necessary to get the whipping arm clear of the side and hips......The glove slap can be just as "helpful" as it is "claimed" to be hurtful regarding the action.....

Pitchers do it because it's a "natural" right/left brain function of balance timing and synergy......

"Thumb side against the front thigh" keeps the front humerus bone/shoulder internally rotated which actually fight against severe "fly open".......

Blaming the "fly open" on this natural function is a cop-out for spine angle as well as other flaws in my opinion.......

Let her "slap it".......But get her to turn the glove "thumb side in" and you'll see further improvment IMO......;)

Thanks JoJo and Boardmember. she does work hard and the tips that everyone gave have been a great help. B.M. it is funny I never thought her bringing the glove side down hard was a problem, other than her flying out, but in just a few days she has improved on that 100%. Now I will say that yesterday when she didn't slam her glove side down she got her throwing shoulder in a lower position with out too much effort, maybe she can find a happy medium. As I said before all of the advice here has helped her progress much quicker than I thought she ever could. In the next few days I am going to put together some still from the video I posted in Aug and compare them to this past weekend, the improvements are amazing and it is all do to the wealth of knowledge that is here, kudos to all. She has a long way to go I know, but her drop is dropping more and she is more accurate with her change and she is even starting to get the proper spin on her rise(sometimes). One more thing B.M. how do you see her timing on toe touch? Should she be further along with her ball arm than she is. The reason I ask is that I found an Article I had from 2003 written by Hal Skinner and he thinks at toe touch the arm should just be starting into the downswing ( or about 1:00, which to the way I think 11:00) just curious what your thought are. Thanks.

Jul 12, 2008
Tuscola, IL
thanks b.m. makes sense, what do you think of her shoulder angle, it is something we have been fighting for awhile now, like I said I notice her throwing shoulder is lower without slapping the glove, but maybe thumb to thigh would help this as well? Thanks again.

Mar 18, 2009
La Crosse WI
I think the girl has a nice delivery. I hope all the critiques of this little thing and that little thing doesn't get too deep into your/her head. None of us experts can make her a Jenny Finch by watching a video of her one pitch. Just remember that the point is to drive the ball forward as efficiently as possible.
JimP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1