Erin Front view

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 12, 2008
Tuscola, IL
I wanted to post a slo motion front view. Sorry for the sun glaring off the car hood, I didn't realize it until I uploaded it. We worked this week on not flying out with her glove arm, looks pretty good, but could be better I guess. I do notice she is still crossing the power line with her left leg, we start tomorrow working on that. We are still looking for an instructor and have a few options in the works.
sign in to Ovi Share
YouTube - Erin Front Slo-Mo

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Let me add this bit, that might apply to Erin.
I asked Teresa Wilson (pitching coach U of AZ.) about girls that bring the glove down into their hip, because I don't teach it or allow it.

She said that she doesn't recruit them, generally. She said that it pulls the glove shoulder down, when she wants it up. She said that the counter balance can come from bending the elbow (glove side) towards the ribs, but glove needs to be up.

I teach my beginners to protect themselves with the glove. If it is down, it has to come right back up.

I am afraid that a line drive will nail Erin, with her glove down like that.

There are girls around here that have injured their glove wrist from the constant slap. It is too much movement. But, that is my opinion only.

May 13, 2008
It does not look like an overly aggressive glove slap to me. When she gets used to the motion, I imagine that she'll have no problem getting her glove into fielding position from where it is at.

One thing I meant to mention in regards to Erin on the last round of video that I didn't get to was I like the fact that she hides the ball. Talk to Bill Hillhouse or Crystl Bustos and they'll tell you that one of the keys to successful hitting is early pitch recognition. One thing I'd like to see her do, however, is to take the glove more to her right hip during her motion. Now she is too square to the catcher. She does a great job of getting open during her leap, but opening up more during this phase may help her get a more explosive push off. You'll want it to feel like she is trying to put her right hand in her front pocket.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Erins Pitch

I too am not a fan of the leg slap but that would be the least of my concerns when I watch this young lady throw this pitch. It would appear to me that her ball hand is coming in front of her face during the windmill and on the down side she is chicken winging it. (Elbow flying out)

Does she have a tendency to miss her target to the outside on a RH batter? Or inside on the LH batter? My reason for asking this question is because she is throwing her shoulder open and that could very well be causing the chicken wing motion of her arm if done violently enough.

The ball hand should never pass in front of a pitchers face. If it does that is an indication the windmill is not in a circular motion. If the shoulder flies out instead if pointing towards the target at release she will constantly be throwing to the outside on a righty and the inside on a lefty.

Got to love any girl that has Lucy and Snoopy on her tee shirt. :)

PM me if you would like some ideas on correction.

Dana.

Dana.

Jul 12, 2008
Tuscola, IL
thanks for the feed back everyone, cs thanks for that advice, it makes sense and now as I look at Bill throw he does indeed bring the ball and glove to his right hip. Amy could you explain what you said again, I am not sure I understand what she should do with her glove arm. Thanks.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Many pitchers bring the glove down to the inside of the thigh when they throw. Osterman, Abbott, Finch, Delaney and Uneo do. Every male pitcher I've seen does it also.

BUT: They don't pull the the shoulder down when they lower the glove, which is what Erin is doing. The attached capture is right after she has lowered glove. Look at her left shoulder in relation to her right. She is pulling down so hard with her left arm that she is bringing down her left shoulder.

Attached is a shot of Finch. She is lowering her glove hand, but her left shoulder is up.

As to having her glove in front of her face, it doesn't matter. It appears to me that the elites all do it. First, it is a very short period of time. Second, the target is stationary through the entire pitch. My DD used to practice throwing with her eyes closed. It isn't hard.

Jul 12, 2008
Tuscola, IL
sluggers, thanks for the clarification on the glove arm, after watching her videos again I can now see how she is pulling her front shoulder down. Great advice everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1