Enjoy the ride as move in days are happening

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2021
You drove away but this new journey will have all types of influences on your life. You will get those phone calls and your stress level will go up or down depending upon how your dd is doing on the field and in the classroom. There will be those times that you can't get there fast enough. There will be those times when you sit back and really admire your dd for the decisions that she makes. This coaster ride is just starting.
Well said, thats where I'm heading.

May 27, 2013
It was during that drive away last year that I composed an email to dd letting her know how proud I was of her and just giving her little tidbits of advice. The day happened so quickly that I didn’t have time to really talk to her or even shed a tear until we were away from campus. I think the most difficult part was seeing her younger brother hug her and not want to let go before we left the house for the drive to campus.

I took comfort in knowing that she had an instant family with her softball team. The other freshmen players who were already there sought her out and helped move her in. I felt better knowing that she wouldn’t have to be hours away without knowing anyone on campus. That always helped me to feel better after we dropped her off.

May 20, 2015
hopefully avoiding the "move in" part of DD's moving in day......she goes in 3 weeks, but her roommate moves in early (field hockey), so when she goes down to Gillette next week (needs to work 8 events at Gillette to get spring trip paid for) for the Patriots pre-season game, we are moving in all of her big stuff early......

but yeah, the rest is gonna be weird
"

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
4th timer here. We go up next Friday for our last move in. Thinking back to my college days. Mom helped move me in once and I did it myself for the next 5 years by myself! Yes, I had 6 glorious years at college.

Anyone else having to deal with getting the Sickle Cell Trait test for NCAA? PITA. Told DD to text the trainer and figure it out.

DD is the last remaining player from her freshman class. She is now the "meemaw" on the team. She actually conducted 2 Asst Coach phone interviews last week by herself on the 2nd one. Thinking back 4 years ago, I would have never imagined the things she's doing now. She has changed in many ways: Physically(gained 30 lbs), maturity, softball skills, academically...just everything. She is much more enjoyable to have at home too.

Every week becomes easier to deal with her being at school. We schedule a weekly Facetime call at 5pm on Sundays. Also, have a plan on how you give her money. I suggest giving it to her weekly on Sundays. If there is no money on Friday night, she's gotta wait until Sunday before the Auto transfer happens. First semester she had all of her money and went through it by the end of October. We learned the hard way. She has done a very good job of managing her money since then.

Just remember she needs to handle and work through issues on her own. It will be difficult not to jump in. I am on a Non athlete parents facebook page and you would not believe the postings and comments. I responded several times with: Your kid is an adult and will need to figure it out. These people are trying to manage their kid's problems, which are easily navigable issues that any kid should be able to handle. I think our softball girls are equipped to deal with adults, solve problems, and use their resources. I wonder what the heck these parents have been doing the first 18 years of those kid's lives?

Sep 3, 2015
Every week becomes easier to deal with her being at school. We schedule a weekly Facetime call at 5pm on Sundays. Also, have a plan on how you give her money. I suggest giving it to her weekly on Sundays. If there is no money on Friday night, she's gotta wait until Sunday before the Auto transfer happens. First semester she had all of her money and went through it by the end of October. We learned the hard way. She has done a very good job of managing her money since.

I like this, but DD still has gift money from her 16th birthday, so I think she will be ok.

I’m going to send her a package a few times a month with things she likes from home, favorite snacks, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 11, 2012
Anyone else having to deal with getting the Sickle Cell Trait test for NCAA? PITA. Told DD to text the trainer and figure it out.

I’m not sure what state you’re from but in MA it’s one of the 17 things they test for at birth so we were able to fax a form to the New England Newborn Screening and they securely emailed the results back.

Jun 27, 2021
4th timer here. We go up next Friday for our last move in. Thinking back to my college days. Mom helped move me in once and I did it myself for the next 5 years by myself! Yes, I had 6 glorious years at college.

DD is the last remaining player from her freshman class. She is now the "meemaw" on the team. She actually conducted 2 Asst Coach phone interviews last week by herself on the 2nd one. Thinking back 4 years ago, I would have never imagined the things she's doing now. She has changed in many ways: Physically(gained 30 lbs), maturity, softball skills, academically...just everything. She is much more enjoyable to have at home too.

Every week becomes easier to deal with her being at school. We schedule a weekly Facetime call at 5pm on Sundays. Also, have a plan on how you give her money. I suggest giving it to her weekly on Sundays. If there is no money on Friday night, she's gotta wait until Sunday before the Auto transfer happens. First semester she had all of her money and went through it by the end of October. We learned the hard way. She has done a very good job of managing her money since then.

Just remember she needs to handle and work through issues on her own. It will be difficult not to jump in. I am on a Non athlete parents facebook page and you would not believe the postings and comments. I responded several times with: Your kid is an adult and will need to figure it out. These people are trying to manage their kid's problems, which are easily navigable issues that any kid should be able to handle. I think our softball girls are equipped to deal with adults, solve problems, and use their resources. I wonder what the heck these parents have been doing the first 18 years of those kid's lives?
Sickle cell was the last thing she did. Made an appointment with Quest and she got the results the next day as her doctors did not have any on file. NCAA just started it this month.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I’m not sure what state you’re from but in MA it’s one of the 17 things they test for at birth so we were able to fax a form to the New England Newborn Screening and they securely emailed the results back.

It was not required in 2001, but now it is. And you don't know what state I'm in? LOL.

1660333959712.png

May 20, 2015

yup.....DD was tested when she was born, and no one has record of it.....can't get in for another test for another 2 weeks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles