does younger talent equal older talent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
I've been working with kids who are 9 - 13 years old for the last 9 years. A few of my first team are starting in college and the second group is getting ready to start college next year. Through the years I've been able to work with a young player and pretty much know where they are going to end up. For the most part I've been really good at predicting where they will end up as players. Unfortunately, there is no one trait or defining factor that is an absolute indicator of success.

A couple of things that are common is a drive to succeed. They have a natural motion that looks fluid and effortless. The kids who never shied away from or feared playing a strong opponent. They ALWAYS had a positive attitude toward the game and liked being pushed beyond what they thought were their limits WITHOUT ever complaining. They had supportive parenting. The worked on their own. But one of the biggest things was they were good teammates who bonded through adversity.

There is no EXACT description... But I know it when I see it...

Apr 11, 2012
A couple of things that are common is a drive to succeed. They have a natural motion that looks fluid and effortless. The kids who never shied away from or feared playing a strong opponent. They ALWAYS had a positive attitude toward the game and liked being pushed beyond what they thought were their limits WITHOUT ever complaining. They had supportive parenting. The worked on their own. But one of the biggest things was they were good teammates who bonded through adversity.

There is no EXACT description... But I know it when I see it...

well said and I would say that would be close to what I have experienced myself over the last six years of comp ball....and, for the most part, the best players at 12U are still the best players at 16U it seems.... and the best 16U players go on to be early college committments as 18U....there are a few that have come on and a few that have dropped off compared to their area peers....I would add that the older the girls get, the emphasis on size starts to deminish somewhat....speed is very important team wise and it seems that most coaches are looking for the best athlete they can find....the days of the "big dumpy slow home run hitter" are fading for lower level D1 and upper level D2 it seems because the best physically big players are the big D1 recruits, and they are more in the minority...in the midwest, there seems to be a trend for the smaller, faster more athletic players....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl