does every team have one

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2009
I have a question. I know my daughter only plays 6 and u but to some of these girls they love to play they love to win and they love just being out there on the field. What do you do when you have a child who started the same time as your child but they have not improved at all since the very first day they came out. She is more worried about putting her batting gloves on then playing ball. She has almost cost us tournament games because she holds the ball and will not throw it. Her parents think it is the cutest thing ever and my dd as long with others just shake their head. Once again I know this is 6 and under but our girls take it seriuosly and we have this kid until we move up to 8 and u. I dont even sit by the parents because of all the excuses they have for their child. I know just whining and I am sure every team has one. I dont care how good they are, I just want them to try.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
You are joking, right? They are 6! Most of these kids have NO attention span to speak of and are probably confused about what to do with this cool yellow ball when they get it.

My DD is playing 16U and sometimes girls on her team have a brain-fart about what to do with the ball.

My suggestion is to enjoy the antics of a bunch of little girls that are just learning about the game of softball. Who knows, you might start enjoying yourself :D

In answer to your question: I would enjoy watching my DD play softball, enjoy practicing with her and enjoy watching her improve.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Either:

(A) You are joking OR
(B) You need to adjust the aluminum foil in your hat, because you are getting transmissions from the Evil Softball Lord Zoltran.

Oct 18, 2009
This post is not at all meant to offend you. I realize you are probably a new parent to this crazy world of softball. If she continues to play she will have many more tournaments to come... in the big picture of life none of which will really mean anything the next day.

If you are a coach try to help that girl get better. She probably doesn't understand the game yet. If you are on the sidelines as a parent focus and enjoy your DD's play and make sure she has fun. You should not emphasize winning and losing or who lost the game for your team at this (or really any younger) level. If you do that your DD will turn into one of those players that blames and points her fingers at her teammates for bad play instead of encouraging them and helping them.

Those players and their parents eventually become the one no one wants to sit around.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I think the bigger issue is that rec ball lumps are kids together regardless of skill level. In my opinion, there should be two levels within each division (I have seen this in some leagues). One for beginners and one for intermediate to advanced kids. In my current DD league 8U, there are a few girls who are very good and some who probably should not be playing (i.e. they might get hurt, are afraid at the plate against decent pitching, etc.). Both types of girls would benefit greatly by playing with equal competition at their own skill level. I don't see anything wrong with this. The girl that is in the lower level group will get the opportunity to play better positions in the field, develop at her own speed, etc.

May 12, 2009
I wish I were joking but I am not. When you cant keep the child on the field for practice and the mom is more worried about socializing then watching or helping her child improve then I get upset. The kids are 6 but they see it as well. I guess you missed when I said as long as you try I dont care if you run the other way with the ball but try. Work with your child, pay some attention, I dont know a thing about softball but I am learning so that my chld can improve. I understand that the girls want to have fun and our girls have lots of fun and we have a wonderful team just wish we could get some people to help out.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I am sad to say this softballparent: I see a long, painfull, unsatisfying career for you as a softball parent. I only hope that your DD isn't effected too much.

May 12, 2009
I agree with you softball dad. Its nothing agaisnt anyone. In rec ball kids decide hey I want to play softball..parents put them in..and then never work with them. We have 4 year olds on our team. In boys they have a 4 year old team so they can learn the basics, all the parents coach and they have fun. The 4 year olds get hurt when our 6 year olds tag them or hit them with a ball. I am upset with the parent not the child. If you continue to sign your child up then at least throw a ball to them every once in a while.

May 12, 2009
Coach n Dad I am very satisfied with my career as a softball parent. I get upset because parents wont work with their kids and now my kid is going to be affected by this. come on..really.. We support our team and the kids. We make sure every one gets game stickers for their helmets and they all play. Everyone is allowed to get frustrated.

Oct 28, 2009
WOW! Despite your statement to the contrary, I am still hopeful that this thread is just a joke on the Board. Still ...
I admit to being too competitive when my DDs started to play the sport. Perspective is gained as the DDs advance through the different age divisions. More perspective arrives when the DDs are beyond college and are no longer playing competitive softball.
According to one of your posts in a different thread, your husband is one of the coaches and "is one of those yellers" and he knows it. As a coach of a 6U team, he should be teaching the players the fundamentals of the game, but his more important responsibility is to teach them the love of the game. The two of you will gain perspective as your dedicted DD advances. But are you going to cause other families to look elsewhere? I cannot share your dissatisfaction with parents who consider watching their 6/7 year old daughter playing a sport to be a social event. At 6U, the players and their families should not feel pressure to perform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06