Does a pitcher have to entirely hide or 'glove' the ball before starting the pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
Yes there is. Not at the point that some people think there is, though.
The pitcher has to keep hands apart while taking or simulating taking a signal but there still is no requirement to remain motionless. They can move their hands/arms all over the place, they just can't bring them together until they have simulated taking a signal from the catcher.

May 29, 2015
The pitcher has to keep hands apart while taking or simulating taking a signal but there still is no requirement to remain motionless. They can move their hands/arms all over the place, they just can't bring them together until they have simulated taking a signal from the catcher.

I started to make a separate post; you jumped the line while I was putting it together (and then decided just to make it one).

Mar 29, 2023
I saw a LLWS game yesterday where the ball hit the batter's hands on the bat while swinging (with 2 strikes), and they ruled it a strikeout.

Is that the right call? I've never seen that before. I'd assume it'd have to be a foul ball or hit by pitch (honestly I'm dumb and don't know which, or maybe this is the right call).

It was not a bunt, just a normal play. (Didn't want to start a whole thread but since we've got a hands-part-of-bat convo going here... )

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I saw a LLWS game yesterday where the ball hit the batter's hands on the bat while swinging (with 2 strikes), and they ruled it a strikeout.

Is that the right call? I've never seen that before. I'd assume it'd have to be a foul ball or hit by pitch (honestly I'm dumb and don't know which, or maybe this is the right call).

It was not a bunt, just a normal play. (Didn't want to start a whole thread but since we've got a hands-part-of-bat convo going here... )
Dead ball strike. (98.4% sure on this...)

Aug 21, 2008

Yes, a swing negates the HBP. Sometimes you can appeal a HBP because a hitter will often swing while trying to get away from the ball. Ultimately it's umpire discretion whether it was a swing or not, just like any other check swing play. So, this was a legit strikeout.

I'm 99% sure "Present the ball" was a fastpitch rule from long ago. I began pitching in official leagues/tournaments circa 1985 and it was out of the rulebook at that point but, the old timers would often reference it. So I know it was a rule at some-point. But it preceded 1985.

Jun 22, 2008
the ump pulled the rule book out to show me and let me read it last fall. and i looked it up as well.

2024 USA softball rules. PDF, page 63, rule 6a, section 1- D&E.
D. While in contact with the pitcher’s plate, the pitcher shall take a signal or appear to take a signal with the hands separated. The ball must remain in either the glove or pitching hand.
E. The pitcher shall bring the hands together for not less than one second and not more than 10 seconds before releasing the ball, a backward step may be taken before, simultaneous with or after the hands are brought together. The pivot foot must remain in contact with the pitcher’s plate at all times prior to the forward step
Where does anything in that rule indicate that there must be a discernable pause after the hands are brought together?

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
Where does anything in that rule indicate that there must be a discernable pause after the hands are brought together?
I understand the pitching rule clearly.

Responding again at this time because possibly the way the rule is written *particularly with a *time frame in it and not indicating there can be constant motion or no pause needed leaves a vague area for people to try to interpret it. That was why previously I asked you for your further explanation to detail it.

It can also be confusing in the world of different softball venues that like someone mentioned earlier in slow pitch there is verbiage to the pitchers rule sets that we would not use in fastpitch. Simply further place for confusion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoons831