Disruptive Parent Poll

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Can a disruptive parent affect child's opportunities

• No does not affect at all

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Yes can be a problem

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • No it should not

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes it should and does

Votes: 21 38.9%
  • No coaches shouldnt let parent affect their decision

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Yes coaches should evaluate parent on decision making

Votes: 12 22.2%

• Total voters
Jun 4, 2024
Earth
Disruptive Parent Poll

The question is how much do you think a disruptive parent affects their childs opportunity on the field? This can include do you think a disruptive parent might prevent their child getting picked up on a team?
How much can it affect their child being removed from a team?
Perhaps you do not think it should be part of a coach's decision.

Disruptive parent can have several things that are within that description.
DFP come up with your own descriptions,
here are a few.

Yeller parent.
Complainer parent.
Parent who coaches over the coach from bleachers.
The never satisfied parent.
The gossip starter.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
There is a fine line between some of those answers.

In the vast majority of cases, the parental consideration will be brief and easy, but it still should occur. In other cases, it will take more scrutiny and necessary consideration.

Coaches want a player, not a package deal.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Coaches may not want a package deal but most of the time they are getting one. Some package deals are a good bargain, other may contain items that maybe harmful.
TBS, many pitcher parents are kind of known for being a little crazy. And if she is a really, really, good pitcher, coaches will take the package deal even if some items maybe harmful.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I had a girl who played one season with us. She was young but she was scrappy and was a ball player. Her mom was difficult to deal with. Missed practices and actually missed a game at the end of season tourney. I couldn’t ever get her to answer the phone.

Next season we had tryouts. She was battling for one of the last spots. The girl she was battling was a younger sister of a girl on the team. That older sister never missed a practice never was late and her parents were great. I cut the one mom. Unfortunately her dd was cut with her.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
I had a girl who played one season with us. She was young but she was scrappy and was a ball player. Her mom was difficult to deal with. Missed practices and actually missed a game at the end of season tourney. I couldn’t ever get her to answer the phone.

Next season we had tryouts. She was battling for one of the last spots. The girl she was battling was a younger sister of a girl on the team. That older sister never missed a practice never was late and her parents were great. I cut the one mom. Unfortunately her dd was cut with her.
The parent not wanting to stay in the loop of communication maybe the worst in that scenario. Something disrespectful about that!

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
Coaches may not want a package deal but most of the time they are getting one. Some package deals are a good bargain, other may contain items that maybe harmful.
TBS, many pitcher parents are kind of known for being a little crazy. And if she is a really, really, good pitcher, coaches will take the package deal even if some items maybe harmful.
Package deal. Yep!
Good way to put it!

Player comes with parental figures.
Perhaps every player is a package deal!

Aug 8, 2023
MN
Not a fan of the parent who tries to coach other players from the bleachers because he coaches at some younger level. It's always entertaining to hear "Why didn't you swing, you aren't going to see a better pitch!" from the cheap seats.

Jun 18, 2023
Not a fan of the parent who tries to coach other players from the bleachers because he coaches at some younger level. It's always entertaining to hear "Why didn't you swing, you aren't going to see a better pitch!" from the cheap seats.

tbf they do that at major league games too. I figure most kids learn to ignore their parents shouts from the side most of the time anyway. Priority #1 is getting them there, and not scheduling vacations for tournament weekends, etc.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
For 1st year 12U, DD's team picked up a very good player with a parent who could be a pain in the bottom. It was a bumpy road the entire year. He yelled instructions, called pitches from the stands, ... In short, his reputation got worse. As the TB season was about 2/3rds over, he went to the HC and said that he was going to take his DD off of the team if she did not pitch the championship gave of a big tournament. She did not pitch that game and, true to his word, he took her off the team. There was almost a celebration when that happened. She was going to be a big time player according to him and we were keeping her down by pitching lesser pitchers. All of those lesser pitchers eventually played in college while his DD did not.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tiffanym