Deja Vu? Back to the Future!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Oh was this question asked before the mlb season or during? Because now that mlb is in full season and we have seen the instant replay in action. Would be nice to get a fresh opinion since its in full swing. Did opinions change?

I answered in the other thread that was deleted. Thats why I joked that there was a deja vu feel.

Anyway. I can't see it happening in fastpitch. Not enough cameras, not enough high quality cameramen/women, no system in place to handle the challenges. The closest thing you have would be WCWS, there are more televised games and there is some control on the camera angles...

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
I'm undecided as far as MLB goes. I like tech but half of me clings to old school ways (like Bronco Nagurski and Jim Thorpe playing head on football with leather caps and no face guards).

As far as softball, 95+% is amateur college level. Let's restrict NCAA to no replays. Otherwise college sports become yet closer to pro sports and ...

what?....

college unions now? OMG I'll sign out here right now and try to get educated on NCAA.

Jul 2, 2013
The one replay that gets me the most is when a ball is actually caught by the first baseman.

Now the MLB is trying to distinguish. They want to argue that the ball is actually caught when it is within the glove web, but not smacked against the glove palm.

Every level of baseball and softball play I have known goes by sound. Compare the smack of the ball against the glove palm, against the runner foot hitting the base.

If the powers that be have to argue this simple aspect of stick and ball, then replay is doomed. We will never see it in softball.

Mar 26, 2013
MLB will refine their replay.

I agree with chinamigarden the most likely use for FP replay would be WCWS, but it is going to take some blown calls to drive it.

Jan 25, 2011
I don't know about replay in softball, might have a coach ask for a replay of a pitcher crow hopping or replanting. Then the coach of the pitcher will ask for a replay on the slap hitter being out of the box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gcsurfer