Defining when the umpire crosses the umpiring line

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 1, 2021
There is a lot of trust between a catcher and the umpire. There are certainly limits, but in my opinion, the catcher needs to absolutely be the 'diplomat'. That relationship is 'A1 critical' even if it is sketchy sometimes. Good catchers know how or need to learn how to work thru it.

Now the specific example shown about the back foot, hmm, I'd tell the coach before I'd tell the pitcher. Let them work out the details with the ump.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Will add this

Cant recall a single time catching where an umpire talked to me about talking to the pitcher about their mechanics (foot drag included). Generally notice umpires will chit chat with the pitcher or coach in between innings. Or just call illegal pitch if needed.

They have commented generally on pitch locations.
An occaisional that was a good play on the field.
Once in a great while comment about an obnoxious coach in the other dugout.

And there are a few would completely ignor.
Because of their
'Game commentary'.
Have heard blues comment to infielders about fielding.

Saying
'you should have'...to players.
Which NEVER was taken well by players.
Or blues telling infielders to move to the side a few steps for the umpire to stand view un-obstructed.
Which again infielders would ignor because that aint happening.

Oddly awkward things happen that cross the line,
Thankfully rarely.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
There is a lot of trust between a catcher and the umpire. There are certainly limits, but in my opinion, the catcher needs to absolutely be the 'diplomat'. That relationship is 'A1 critical' even if it is sketchy sometimes. Good catchers know how or need to learn how to work thru it.

Now the specific example shown about the back foot, hmm, I'd tell the coach before I'd tell the pitcher. Let them work out the details with the ump.
Like your comment about diplomat, and good catcher working through it.
Take that to mean
*The catcher would then need to use their own best judgement what to do.
*instead of not think and just be the messenger.

That post to me describes
Better verbiage than my post points regarding the outcome the umpire is hoping for may not have the end result they were intending!

Simply not all players/catchers/coaches are going to translate the situation the same as an umpire may intend.
As i commented.
Can break open a can of worms.

imo putting the catcher in that situation
*When it doesnt have to happen.
*Doesnt need to happen!

Jun 1, 2015
I like the post earlier that limited umpire/catcher discussion to basic greetings and pre-game discussion. When I'm behind the plate for a game, I go to the catcher in the top/bottom of the first, say something to the equivalent of, "Good X, catcher, how are you?" "I'm doing great. Alright, I'm going to set up for a couple of pitches to get my footing, then I'll let you take the rest - 5 pitches, then send it down, 3 during the other innings, okay?" Then I don't say much else to the catcher UNLESS a.) They ask me, "Where was that?" and I give them a direct answer (in, out, down, up), b.) They ask for time, or c.) They ask for a check on a swing, etc.

I can be easily approached to discuss whatever is appropriate to the setting/game without requiring a War and Peace discussion. Keep it short and simple, diplomatic and courteous, and it makes the relationship in the game a much better one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elhoff86