Defense question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 24, 2010
Not sure if this belongs here or in the coaching forum, but I'm starting it here.

I have a question about defensive positioning for backups. One coach advocates backing up 2B by the F3 on hits to left, and F5 on hits to right, with the pitcher covering the bases for the backup positons. Another coach thinks that the pitcher should stay in the circle and have the opposite outfield back up and have F3 and F5 cover their bases, i.e. hit to left, 2B is backed up by F9 and F3 stays to cover 1B. This coach also thinks that any play at the bases is better covered by the original player since they have more experience with tag-outs vs. the pitcher.

Asking the players involved (F3,5,7,9 and even the pitcher) all want to use the second coach's alignment, but I realize they are young and inexperienced.

Which alignment is correct, or your choice?

Thanks

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
We have always had the outfield back up those positions, with the pitcher staying in the circle. I have not seen it done the other way (or payed enough attention to notice!) and I like to think that I've been around softball a fair bit.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
In 45 years of playing 1st base, I can truthfully say that I have never backed up 2nd base.

I back up home and take the cut off.

Mar 15, 2010
I have seen many times when F3 covers 2B and even 3. But after that first year of T-Ball they don't do it any more.

May 5, 2009
WCWS this year. High pop fly foul past 3rd with runner on second. 3rd basemen goes for the ball as do Left Field and Short. Catch was made and runner on second goes to third on the tag. And who is covering third base for the put out? The first basemen.

Feb 24, 2010
OK thanks, I thought I was nuts. In the OP the first coach is an "experience HS coach who has won District championships" and the other coach is myself. I should have trusted DD back in January when she said coach X is an idiot. She was 10 at the time.

Thanks to all.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
WCWS this year. High pop fly foul past 3rd with runner on second. 3rd basemen goes for the ball as do Left Field and Short. Catch was made and runner on second goes to third on the tag. And who is covering third base for the put out? The first basemen.

Was that by design or just an alert player knowing what was happening and making an adjustment? I do have my pitcher covering 3B based on the situation. Example, R1 on 1B, batter bunts to F5.. pitcher covers 3B.

As far as the OP, have never seen that type of coverage...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles