DD not getting opportunity to pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 12, 2013
My post may have been misleading..she's actually a younger 14U player this year. Her fastball speed is low 50s. She throws a curve same speed as FB, screw low to mid 40s, back flip change, off speed change (Palm), drop, rise with some comsistency, and is working on a knuckle change. Problem is even though before the season started I discussed her getting opportunities this year, I don't feel like the coaches ever really took a fair look, nor do I feel that they are really aware of what she throws. I try not to be that parent that is constantly in the coaches ear about his or her kid, but do feel that the coaches should take an interest in all of their players abilities. We're about half way through the season and she's only pitched 1 inning. Even as the #3
pitcher has struggled, she has only been asked to warm up once, and didn't get in.

Nov 18, 2013
Quit having her try to throw so many different pitches and focus on getting her mechanics straightend out. I can't imagine what a mess she must be trying to throw eight different pitches and only working three nights a week. Work on her FB and 1-2 change ups until she's profficient at those before adding more.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
At some point soon, somebody needs to have a chat with the coaches. Maybe you don't want to be THAT PARENT, but sometimes you need to have a chat with the coaches, esp. if there is going to be a big chance of your DD leaving the team.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
First of all, in my opinion you need to find another team, the sooner the better. At 14U and up you're not going to get better sitting on the bench. Pitchers need to pitch. They need that game experience. You can pitch 7 days a week with a double session on Sunday, but if you don't get into the game you're not going to get better. As you said, pitching in a game is different than pitching in practice.

Number two, you don't need three different changes. You need one reliable one that sets up other pitches and keeps hitters from getting comfortable. Pick one and stick with it. It is critical to have a change of speed, but just one. After that, far more important to have good movement on the ball. Depending on the pitch a movement pitch can also serve as an offspeed anyway as it will come in at a different speed. You're already seeing that with the screwball. Why would you need a straight-in pitch that's a few mph off the top speed if you have one that moves? Assuming it does move.

I also don't believe you need to pitch every day to be a successful pitcher, especially at the younger ages. The whole idea of "putting in time" or measuring quality by minutes performing an activity is foolish. What you need to do is know what you want to accomplish and then work to accomplish it. Set goals for the session, for the week, for the season. Then spend as much time as necessary to accomplish those goals. I'd rather a pitcher spend three days a week on focused practice than five days a week where her brain is engaged sometimes and other she's just going through the motions. Every human being is an individual, and has individual needs and capabilities. They also have different goals.

Believe it or not, not every kid wants to pitch in the championship game in the WCWS. A lot of them just want to play ball and get an opportunity to see what they can do. I've worked with lots of kids who wanted to play in high school and play competitive softball in the summer but had no interest in playing in college at all. As LittleAngels' signature says, there's a place for everyone. Different levels/goals require different amounts of work. And if she starts getting more opportunity, she may get the bug and then WANT to practice more. Not because she's on a schedule but because she just loves doing it.

Dec 27, 2014
When you tryout for a team how forthcoming are the coaches about where DD would fit in? DD got an offer from the first 10u team she tried out for. They held three tryouts. DD went to the first two but could not make the third. We kept saying she pitched since she had been working on it for about four months by then and was totally enthralled. :eek: But zero interest from the coaches. 2nd tryout we brought it up again and they let her pitch with two other kids from the team. One she blew away and the other had similar control, but 5-10 miles slower. Still nothing from the coaches about anything she did. Day after the third tryout we get an email inviting her to the team. IIRC they had two spots to fill. We respectfully declined since by then we were moving forward with REC and a couple things felt off like the pitching thing and they were a 2004 2nd year 10u team and she is 2005 looking for her first competitive team.(that and we notices pitchers last names match HC and AC names...)

Since then, she has found a team, and played this team a few times in tourneys where we have seen the THREE other really good pitchers they have - LOL!

Looking back, I question how far I should go to determine the nature of existing pitching staff? What is normal? What is normal commitment from the coach?

If we ever find ourselves in a similar situation, I feel like I would HAVE to see the existing pitchers to get a feel for DD prospects but is this normal when trying out a team?

Mar 28, 2013
To bad your coach does not understand how effective off speed can be and how to utilize it. My younger DDs Team constantly places top five nationally in 14u and these Kids are monsters in the box. If I had any advise to give to opposing teams when it comes to throwing against us it would be throw the slowest, wildest but just accurate enough #4 type pitcher you have. It will make them crazy at least for one rotation. Lots of pop ups and weak hits. especially combined with an plate umpire rooting for the outmatched kid in the circle. We have struggled against some horrible pitching. Throw us 58+ that is accurate and you will see lots of ponytails in the outfield.

Nov 3, 2012
My DD control issues have cost her pitching time on her 14u team. Totally frustrating. In her only chance this weekend she goes in relief kind of cold, she got her first 3 batters out and was looking good. Then she walked a girl, next girl hits ground ball down the line just under 3rd basemans glove. She goes full count with the next three girl and she fouls of about 3 pitches. Then she's done for the tournament.

Coach comes to dug out and says to team if anybody after she pitches and declares if a pitcher gives up a walk then hit and walk then they're done. Then next game the next pitcher walks the first two girls and gives up a hit. Coach does nothing.

Apr 28, 2014
Apologize for not reading all of the posts... But there are only 3 reasons why a coach at 12U club/travel won't pitch a kid.

1) The kid can't pitch... pretty straight forward.. you earn your time..

2) The coach is playing Daddy/Mommy ball... that's pretty easy to see

3) The kid has a bad attitude.

There is really no other reason why a coach wouldn't pitch a kid. Though I have seen situations where a kid gets a bad rep based on prior performances and puts the work in to improve, but coaches have a hard time putting the past to rest. If this is case a sit down with the coach may be in order.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl