DD not getting opportunity to pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 12, 2013
DD joined a club team last year as a second year 12u and was told that she pitched too slow. She worked hard pitching 3 days a week from then until now, but half way through the season has only got one inning. Don't know what to do. She's tired of pitching 3 days a week, and getting no opportunity.

Aug 8, 2010
How does the coach approach pitching rotation in pool games? Does he start established pitchers and try to win? Does he use it to give pitchers down the order innings? If the former, maybe ask if your DD can get a chance in a pool game. If the latter, and DD is so far down the list she still doesn't get the call, then I'm afraid she never will.

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
If going in there was no promise of innings its understandable on the coaches end not to pitch her. Club teams play with the intention to win and the coaches have an obligation to both develop players and create a competitive environment for the girls. While the developing is important too pitching is tough if a player is too far below the rest of the team (don't know if this is the case!) because that is one position that can really negatively effect the team.

Assuming you are on a similar schedule to us the good news is the season wraps up at the end of summer and then the player shuffle happens before next year. You (and more importantly your daughter) have the choice to continue to work hard to earn innings by being better than one of the girls getting innings OR finding a new team where your dd can be in the top 2 or 3 pitchers and get innings that way.

On a different note, and please know I am not a pitching coach by any means, you might assess what kind of practice you are doing 3 days a week. Are you just going and throwing some pitches or are you having efficient practices where you are improving specific things each day. The amount practiced is not as important as the content. To this point I'll defer to those who do know whats going on pitching wise.

All the best to your dd moving forward.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Another option is rec ball in addition to club ball. Yes, the level of play is lower, but I see girls who get little or no circle time in tournament teams get a fair number of innings in rec play.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
What is her speed? What can she throw? And most importantly, how does she compare with the other pitchers?
Without knowing your dds team playing level, I think a second year 12u should be around the 50mph range with a change up, and is accurate. Maybe even working on a 3rd or 4th pitch by now. My kids pitch/drill at least 5 days a week, honestly more like 6 or 7.... 3 days a week when trying to uproot a starter isn't going to get it done!

Jun 12, 2015
I'm facing some of this with mine who will be new to 10U this year. She's pitching really well but has no game experience, and I know those are 2 very different things. I like to think if a child is good at something, and the coach has any sense, these things will work themselves out. I know that's not always the case though...

Sep 29, 2014
As a second year 12U probably to late for rec this year but it would have been a good option, she would get the chance to pitch lots of innings and be a leader (presumably).
Not a lot a 14U rec but if it is an option next year you might think about it.

I know we all think our DDs are the best but do you have someone you trust to give you an honest assessment, if they watch her pitch then watch the other pitchers on the team pitch what do they think?
If she is the fourth best pitcher on the team she can't expect much.

Do you guys do game simulations during practice? I never pitched any new pitcher in a game before without having them pitch at practice in simulated games, does she get that kind of opportunity. Does the coach even consider her a 4th pitcher? It sounds like at the beginning of the year, she showed the coach her abilities and he said she was too slow....so maybe in his mind she is not a pitcher or an "emergency only" pitcher.

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
3 days a week when trying to uproot a starter isn't going to get it done!

I'm gonna have to agree with this. Had a pitching coach tell us long ago that if you pitch 4 or more days a week you will get better, three days a week and you will maintain, less than 3 and you will get worse. I would up my practice time and look for a different team for the fall. There's a good team situation out there, you've just got to find it. Good luck!

Sent from my typewriter

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Since your screen name is SFTBALLCOACH I would suggest starting a new team for your DD to insure she gets plenty of circle time. That is what most pitchers parents do at the younger age groups in my neck of the woods!

May 6, 2012
Texas
Have you talked to the coach to see ecaxtly what he is looking for in a pitcher? Just being told she is not fast enough is not enough you need to get a better assessment from him so you and DD can work to meet the goals to get her pitching time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl