DD Getting frozen out of High School ball. Any options during that time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2018
Is this her decision or someone else's decision? Frozen out sounds like she did something illegal and is no longer allowed to play.

Don't know about your area, there are not many options for HS softballers to play outside of HS softball during HS softball season. Why? Because they are ALL playing HS softball. Who are they are going to play?

Did nothing wrong. It’s political.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2018
What state or general area are you in? Facebook is the easiest place to find teams these days

NJ. Yes I suppose I could look there next winter to see if there are spring leagues for 18u.

Apr 20, 2015
I just don't understand all these political high school softball coaches. Isn't the point to win? I don't agree with every decision my dds high school coach makes but there's no doubt his goal is to win. There are definitely disgruntled JV parents out there that think they're kid should be on varsity but it's mostly rose colored glasses and smooth travel coaches blowing smoke up their a** convincing them their kids are better than they are because they bat 500 in low level travel ball or they're batting 500 against JV pitching while a varsity player is hitting 350. Are there really that many coaches out there that don't put the best players out there to try to win.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Oct 22, 2010
SO CAL
It's shocking that a high school coach would not want to put up with any more crap from the parents of the kids. Sometimes it's addition by subtraction. I was told by my wife many years ago when I was coaching rec ball to pick my kids in the draft by talent and also by the parents I didn't do that one year and it was a nightmare. I know on quite a few teams my DD has been on there has always been those parents that constantly talk crap about the coaches that are upset because their kids aren't playing enough or pitching enough. Like I said before sometimes addition by subtraction works out pretty good

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Maybe just spend the money and effort on individual instruction. It's not likely a player have a faster hitting/pitching velo playing a HS season anyway.

Go where they measure improvement with radar - pitch speed and hitting exit velo. Plus, muscle/mass won't hurt.

Edit: to clarify I am talking about velo/measurables..

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2016
Given the injustices adults are capable of inflicting on young people, I hardly find it surprising that there are a few high school coaches who retaliate against the children of parents they don't like by denying them playing time or who making roster decisions based on friendships with some of the parents.

Jul 5, 2016
I think in NJ, 16U and 18U club teams pretty much shut down for the duration of the high school season. They may still practice, but no games. Still, I will ask somebody who should know.

Aug 25, 2019
My DD, a junior, also got "frozen out" this year but for a different reason. the very fist day of practice the coach was hitting outfield drills. She hit one that my DD chased down, unfortunatly the coach hit it over the fence and DD crashed into it full steam, got a concussion. It wasn't bad, but she was out three weeks. By the time she came back, she was "Wally Pipped" (You old timers get that reference) at 2B. A hotshot freshman who played for the right travel team got her spot and the coach never gave her a chance to get it back. I'll give that kid credit, she was probably a better fielder than DD, but not a better hitter. So DD simmered on the bench, got a at bat here and there, played the field once, and pinch ran a bit. The coach was very much a "Starting 9 and no one else" kind of coach, but while I didn't like it at all, the team went 10-2 and made a run to the county finals before losing 2 out of 3 games. DD was upset what happened to her, but she was happy to be playing for the hometown team and with her friends she started with in Rec Ball. With 5 seniors leaving, she's already looking forward to next year and getting a starting spot.

Nov 8, 2018
My DD, a junior, also got "frozen out" this year but for a different reason. the very fist day of practice the coach was hitting outfield drills. She hit one that my DD chased down, unfortunatly the coach hit it over the fence and DD crashed into it full steam, got a concussion. It wasn't bad, but she was out three weeks. By the time she came back, she was "Wally Pipped" (You old timers get that reference) at 2B. A hotshot freshman who played for the right travel team got her spot and the coach never gave her a chance to get it back. I'll give that kid credit, she was probably a better fielder than DD, but not a better hitter. So DD simmered on the bench, got a at bat here and there, played the field once, and pinch ran a bit. The coach was very much a "Starting 9 and no one else" kind of coach, but while I didn't like it at all, the team went 10-2 and made a run to the county finals before losing 2 out of 3 games. DD was upset what happened to her, but she was happy to be playing for the hometown team and with her friends she started with in Rec Ball. With 5 seniors leaving, she's already looking forward to next year and getting a starting spot.

I feel your pain. Something kinda like that. Next year the coach is going to move upperclassman around and she won’t have a shot. Plays seniors then juniors etc. kinda coach. 9 only and starting pitcher never comes out.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06