Daughter moving up question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2008
My daughter turned 14 last Sunday. She is eligable to stay down in 14U for 1 more season. But, her team is moving up. Her coaches insist she is moving up too. They are very good about keeping the pitchers in a regular rotation, so we decided to move up as well.

My question is - if daughter's pitching is just getting hammered in 16U, and can't compete at all, is she "locked" in 16U?

*I think I've asked this a couple months ago, but never got an answer.

Oct 25, 2009
If you mean "locked in" by rule I don't think so. I've never heard of it except in rec league.

She will be fine at the higher level. It's best for her there since she will be getting playing time.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The only problem might be if you live in California. California ASA is very strict about kids changing teams.

But, like softballphreak said, my bet is that she'll do fine at 16U.

Jul 9, 2010
She can move back to 14U, but she won't want to. At each move up, and especially so from 14 to 16, the speed of the game changes, and the competitiveness goes up. With these changes, it becomes more fun. Most kids don't want to go back.

Nov 14, 2008
My dd has been playing up for a long time. My wife and I always get in arguments cus she wants dd to just go out and dominate. I feel playing up has forced her to work harder and play smarter. She knows she cant afford to make the mistakes at the older age groups that she wouldve gotten away with at the younger levels. As for playing up she played 10u in 5th grade, 12u in 6th, 14u in 7th, 16u in 8th, 18u in 9th til present which she in her jr yr. It has definately made her a better player imo.

Dec 19, 2008
Thanks everyone. Looking forward to alot of fun this coming year. Daughter starts back to lessons in 2 weeks. Been off for 4 weeks. No pitching, no workouts, no softball at all.

Nov 29, 2009
Thanks everyone. Looking forward to alot of fun this coming year. Daughter starts back to lessons in 2 weeks. Been off for 4 weeks. No pitching, no workouts, no softball at all.

That's a good thing. Pitchers need to take a month off to let their bodies heal themselves back up. It's amazing what some rest can do. Look at Urlacher from the Bears. Missed last season with the injury and is back playing link a maniac after giving his body a chance to rejuvenate itself.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Izzy's Dad,

You didn't mention what level ball your dd is playing, but if she plays any ASA qualifiers at the 16u level, she will not be eligable to play 14u. We had a girl on our team last year eligable to play 12u ( we were 14u). When we failed to qualify for nationals, she wanted to pick up on a 12u team that did. since she was on our team roster at 14u she was told she couldn't. She could have on annother 14u, but not 12u. May not be an issue, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

Mar 15, 2010
The only problem might be if you live in California. California ASA is very strict about kids changing teams.

If you do play in CA as Sluggers says the rules are very strict. You can find the latest eligibility rules at: SOCAL ASA : Softball.

In Socal ASA quitting a team and being released from a team are treated very different. Also dates are very important. I would suggest to anyone who plays TB softball to make sure they have a copy and understand the governing body rules under which they play. Nothing worse than not playing softball due to an eligibility violation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quickpitch